{Chapter Four} ~ A Night To Remember

Being thus attired, she got into the carriage and the coach took off

It was finally time. I had mustered enough courage to defy step-devil. If she locked the front door, I'd sneak out my window and find Yukka. She'd have the dress and I'd make it in. So, I can't possibly be caught.

I already finished ironing and fixing up the dresses of 'dumb & dumber' so I just have to wait until they leave.

I snickered to myself. I haven't done something this rebellious since I was a child! But, if they somehow do catch me, I'll get into a deep mess. Though, I don't see how they'll recognize me since I have my mask on.

"Cinder-Kat! We're leaving. You must wait for us to return at 12:00 pm. And if you go anywhere, you will be punished!" She batted her heavy, makeup-covered eyes and slammed the door on her way out.

I'd sigh in content. It's time!

~

Oops. I didn't think this through did I? I mean, how can you get down a two story building using a rope that only goes to about ¾ of the way?

So here's me: I'm stuck at the bottom of said ¾ length rope, unable to climb back up and the only way down is by jumping around 5 meters. Great.

According to books, I have a high risk of getting an injury if I jumped 3 meters! I'm dealing with approximately 5. I'm already late to pick up my dress. It's 8:30 pm. and I told Yukka I'd meet her at 8:20 pm.

"Kat! I'm here!" I heard a faint whisper and I shivered.

Who was that?

"It's Yukka! You were late so I brought the dress here! I went around through your fence gate!"

Lo and behold; Yukka stands before me carrying my mask and dress. She's wearing a bright honey coloured dress that matched her tan skin tone and dark hair.

I sighed in content. That still doesn't fix my problem of how I'm getting down.

"Yukka, I can't get down. If I jump, I'll get hurt!" I clutched onto the rope with my sweaty palms, feeling myself sliding slowly.

"Well...maybe I could catch you!" Her expression brightened but then fell. "But then I'll get injured."

I saw her look at my house, tapping her finger on her chin lightly. She then raised the finger into the air and proclaimed: "I've got an idea!"

~

"You can't be serious! Swing from here to the window sill? The rope would snap!" I argued.

"Trust me, it won't. If it does, then I'll catch you!" She put her hand on her hip while holding my attire with the other.

"Fine, but if I die, it's your fault!" I sarcastically cheered. The drop from the sill was only two meters, I'll be fine if I can make it on there.

"Deal."

I started swinging back and forth with the rope, I felt the tension in it, making it starting to snap already from holding my weight. I winced.

After building momentum, I reached with my legs for the sill. I got it with my bare feet!

But, when I tried to pull myself up, my feet slipped and I went swinging again. The rope continued it's dreadful song.

I reached for it again, this time grabbing on to the ledge with my toes. Phew.

I pulled myself up and hopped down from the sill.

"Come on get dressed already! I also bought you shoes so you don't go like that!"

I was deadpanned. She did so much for me yet I can't give her anything in return.

I looked at her arm. Hm?

"What's that bag for?" I pondered at the large handbag on her arm. It must've been under the dress so I couldn't see it, along with the shoes.

"It's your makeup and hair kit! Hurry up because I gotta make you look stunning!"

~

I looked at myself in her small pocket mirror. She really can do make up. She made my eyes look like a galaxy as well, not that you'll see it that well since I'm wearing a mask.

I slipped on the black high heels and turned towards Yukka.

"How do I look?" I gave a small twirl.

"Gorgeous!" She said with a smile that could blind me.

"Not as gorgeous as you!" I countered.

"Oh I almost forgot something. Here." I slightly tilted my head as she pulled out a small bracelet that was in the handbag.

I could recognize that bracelet anywhere.

It's my old charm bracelet that my father, Xavier, had given to me. Mother had taken away all things that had to do with my father when I was younger, but I hid the bracelet with Yukka and I told her to protect it until I was free.

"I don't understand, I thought you were going to give it to me when I'm free.." I looked at the shiny object that had 3 charms on it. A music note, a flower and a heart that was made of sapphire for my birth month; september. Each with their own story.

Yukka winked at me. "I have a feeling you will be after this ball."

I blinked. What does she mean by that?

"Let's get going to the limo, we've got to make it in time before the thing ends after all!" She pulled out her phone. "It's 9:00 already! Time to go!"
She hooked on to my arm and pulled me out of the backyard of my mansion. There was a black limo waiting there for her.

A butler kindly opened the door and we went in.

Oh boy, this'll be...

A night to remember.