chapter 9

Chapter 9

He slammed his fist against the brick wall. Bones crunched and Jackie winced at the sound. When Blake pulled his hand back his fingers look crumpled and was definitely broken. He cursed over and over again. 

Jackie sighed and pulled him away from the building so he wouldn't continue to be an idiot. "Blake, what are you doing?" She nearly growled at him. "It's daylight. If someone were to see what you were doing they'd notice that you're intentionally hurting yourself."

"So what if they did?"

"Well they'd probably lock you up in a big white room where you can't hurt yourself."

"Well I'm completely useless so maybe they should."

"Blake, when was the last time you've slept?"

"I haven't, and neither have you since Leslie disappeared."

"But you look like you need it."

"We need to find her."

"We will, but you need to take care of yourself Blake. You need to heal your hand so we can run through the woods tonight."

He sighed. "I can't lose her."

"I know Blake and neither can I. Let's book a hotel room for the night. We don't have to sleep forever but just during the day so we can rest and you can heal your hand. Then when it's dark we can go."

"I think we need to."

Jackie nodded. "I think there's a hotel just a few blocks away. It's not a five-star hotel or anything but it will probably be cheap enough so we can save money."

"Jacks, you know we don't have to save money. Let's go somewhere nice and sleep on a good mattress and you can shower."

"Are you saying that I smell?" Her lips twitched.

"No, that's not what I'm saying," he told her, "but I know that you would like to shower."

They walked to one of the nicer hotels in the town that they were in. It was a few towns over from the town they attended school at. Blake handed Jackie a wad of cash when they reached the front of the hotel. "Book the room and I'll try to make sure nobody sees me with my broken hand."

Jackie walked inside the lobby and headed straight to the receptionist. "Hi, I need a room for tonight. One with two beds please."

The receptionist typed away on the keyboard. "There's a convention in town so I'm not sure how many rooms are left so let me check if we have any openings. Ah, looks like we do have a few rooms left."

"Great."

"But it looks like the rooms we have available only have one bed."

"Oh, well I guess we'll have to take it. Uh, what size bed would it be?"

"We have a room with a queen and one with a king."

"The one with the king will be fine," Blake chimed in. He stood next to Jackie and was careful to keep his hand below the front desk. The receptionist looked between the two of them and probably assumed that they were about to get it on as soon as they got inside the room. That wouldn't be the case. He's been in love with her sister and she thinks of him as a brother.

They handed over the cash and got two room keys. After going up the elevator and down the hall Jackie opened up the door to the hotel room and let out a low whistle to the room. It looked more like a suite with a love seat and small kitchenette. "Well this place looks amazing. Too bad it's not for a fun vacation instead of a rescue mission."