chapter 1

2011 © All rights reserved

Chapter 1

The sound of birds chirping in the early morning was soothing to Leslie as she walked through her favorite meadow that she discovered as a child. Her fingertips grazed the tips of the billowing grass and she smiled when she saw a deer and her fawn prancing around the edge of the meadow.

The deer stopped and her ears twitched before the deer's eyes met Leslie's. The deer sprang away and Leslie's canine teeth dug into her lips. She was hungry and she was ready for a chase. Her bones cracked and shifted and instead of hands and feet she had paws covered with white fur. Her limbs moved and she was after the deer and it wasn't long before she was ready to sink her teeth into the flesh of the deer.

A flash of fur crashed into Leslie and teeth sank into her flank causing her to howl. It took her a second to realize that she was being attacked by a wolf and he was stronger than her. His teeth snapped at her trying to sink his teeth into her neck so he could finish her. Leslie struggled to fight for her life and lost when the wolf's teeth crushed her windpipe.

Leslie woke in the comforts of her bedroom. She was breathing heavily from her dream and her sheets were sticking to her from a cold sweat. She swallowed nervously before swinging her legs over the edge of the bed and paced around her room until she calmed down. "It was a dream," she told herself. "Nothing to worry about."

For the past several night she had the same dream and would wake up immediately after the wolf crushed her windpipe. She kept the dream to herself afraid of what people would think of her. She was supposed to be fearless and strong. Not afraid of a challenge. It was her personality, not a persona she put on but lately the dream was getting to her. Leslie stripped out of her pajamas that were sticking to her and changed into a sports bra and running shorts. She slipped downstairs and laced up her new pair of Nike's before leaving her home in the middle of the night.

This had become her routine. She would head into the woods and jog until she was out of breath, which was something that rarely happened to a shifer. They had boundless energy and had to exert an exceptional amount of energy before they felt the need to rest. Leslie unwrapped her ear buds from her iPod and drowned her thoughts with music. She jogged in place a few moments as she took her blonde hair and put it into a messy bun. She glanced back at the house before taking off into the woods. She didn't intend on returning until she had to be back for morning patrol.

+++++

Her paws were barely touching the forest floor as she was racing against the clock. She knew she had to get back home before her patrol leaves without her. If she missed patrol, there would be consequences. More and likely she would be assigned more patrols, which is always boring unless something is lurking around their territory. Luckily, she got back just in time for the dusk patrol. Lucas, Sidney, Hunter, and Blake were ready to leave. Leslie stretched her arms when she got there followed by a yawn. Her lack of sleep was starting to catch up with her. "Sorry, I lost track of time," she said as she neared the group of people. Leslie was greeted with grimaces and a smile. The smile came from Blake.

"You're here so that's all that matters."

"Thanks Blake."

Sidney rolled her eyes. "We better leave if we want to finish patrol before morning!"

"Okay mom, well leave now," Blake teased.

The five of them walked into the woods together and spread out so they each had their privacy to change. It wasn't exactly comforting to be naked in front other best friend and pack mates, even if one of them was a girl. After they all shifted, they took off to start the patrol. As the five of them got deeper into the woods; they saw the other patrol heading home. Blake took the lead for the patrol.