chapter 5

Chapter 5

Leslie groaned as she changed out her textbooks for her next class. She was almost halfway done with school. After World History, which was her next class she would be off to lunch. This morning her mother gave her the job of finding several girls for her bridal party.

"What's with the sad face?" A familiar feminine voice asked.

"Jackie!" Leslie squealed. She dropped her books on the ground hearing a loud thump as they landed. Her arms pulled her little sister in for a hug. "Its so good to have you back. Mom's been driving me AWOL with this whole wedding thing."

"It's coming up close isn't it?"

She nodded. "Two weeks."

Jackie frowned. "You know I wish there was something I could do to change everyone's mind about it." Her sister wasn't thrilled for her sister that Leslie was being put into the arranged marriage but she secretly knew that Blake would take care of her sister better than anyone she knew. She'd support her sister in trying to convince Blake that this wasn't right and that he should wait till he finds someone else to be his wife and future Luna. He insisted that Leslie was the one.

"You know, there is something you can help me with." Leslie ran her fingers through her golden blonde hair. "I need help finding a suitable bridal party and a maid of honor. Would you be my maid of honor?"

Jackie pulled her sister in for a hug. "Of course I would! Leslie, you know I'd do anything for you."

The warning bell for the next class went off.

"We'll talk later about it when we get home. Mom and Dad are going to be thrilled your back."

For several weeks Jackie was off on a school trip. They went to Europe and traveled all over. Spain and France were two of the countries Leslie named off the top of her head that she knew her sister went to. She wanted to see the world and was always the adventurous type who wanted to explore and see what was out there. Leslie was the same way but she had to stay home due to the wedding.

"I bet," she giggled. "I'll see you at lunch then."

Leslie picked her books off the floor and shoved them in her locker before hurrying off to World History. She had a feeling she would be late to class today.

+++++

Mr. Ellis stood at the front of the class. He pushed up his glasses and eyes his class full of students. He cleared his throat to grab everyone's attention as they were talking away. "Today's going to be a partner day."

Kids hooped and hollered. Clearly, everyone was excited about getting partners. The real question would be if he was allowing students to choose or did he assign the partners?

"The assignment for today is to read chapter thirty-seven and fill out the small packet."

Partner work with a packet and reading wasn't that bad. He could've made a large group project with a presentation.

"The partners are as follows: Lynn and Jonnie, Mark and David, Nicole and Charlie..." He continued to call off names and Leslie only paid attention when she heard her name. "Leslie and Blake."

Typical. Mr. Ellis was in the pack so she should've expected to be partnered with Blake.

"Class you may move to sit next to your partner."

Leslie only had to turn in her seat. Blake sat directly behind her.

"Hey partner," he grinned.

"Hey. So are you going to read the chapter and then tell me all the answers?"