Trinkets

The next day Erik had made me a mask to wear when I head outside. All in all, the burns weren't that bad, but I'm sure it would have given some poor fellow a fright.

     I decided to further my research on how to make Erik happy . I woke up early and got ready to head out before leaving Erik a note. Heading to the store was fairly easy, considering I could just call a carriage.

      The store I decided on going to first, is called "the little things". It's a store that sells trinkets and such, but there is only one thing I am searching for today. I'm planning on ordering it, and by the time it comes in, it will be close to Christmas time. It will be the perfect gift for Erik.

      I walk into the store, and remove my hood, taking a moment to savour the antique air. I've always liked being in stores like this, it reminds me of my childhood, or rather the childhood I had until Raoul showed up.

      Father used to buy my sister and I trinkets when we went to the markets. He said for us to keep them when we travel, for then you would always have a home. How wrong he was. But for a child, a sliver of hope can mean the difference of happiness and depression.

   The bell rings as I walk to the counter, identifying the owner that I have come in.

   A small man, no older than seventy, walks through the door behind the counter, and gives me a small, happy smile. His eyes squinting at the sides. If he noticed my mask, he shows no reaction. I sigh in relief.

"Hello dear! What can I help you with?"

"Hello sir. I was wondering if you made handmade music boxes? The ones that you have to wind up and then they play?"

"Why, you're just in luck. I make them by hand,  I do. I haven't had many customers in while, and it gets a little boring not doing anything. Is there a certain music box you would like to order?"

"Yes sir there is." I smile. Ready to finally make Erik happy.

/time skip/

    I arrive back at the opera house. Still by quite accustomed to calling it home. As I reach the secret tunnel, I hear an organ playing, and immediately I know it's Erik.

    I decide not to interrupt him, and I head to the main section of the opera house. Even though there was a fire, the stage wasn't that destroyed. The red velvet seats, now blackened and charred, still served their purpose, and the wooden stage had parts showing through to the marble layer underneath. I head to the stage and sat down in the middle, looking out into an imaginary crowd. This had been my dream as a young child. Here I was, finally getting my chance.

     Now, my voice was not anything like Christine's. It was rather mezzo-soprano, shaky, and far from angelic. But I had grown up in the presence of music, and there was no need to say that I couldn't at least match a tune. So I stood up. And sang.

"Quando sono sola
Sogno all'orizzonte
E mancan le parole."

Taking a shaky breath I continued.

"Sì lo so che non c'è luce
In una stanza quando manca il sole. Se non ci sei, tu con me, con me."

As I went to he next verse I heard ruffling from the wings and I stopped. A slow clapping ensued. A voice rang out, and I froze.

"Well, looks like you got your chance at singing, my dear sister."

Christine.

--------------
Hey cookies! Sorry I haven't updated in a while! But thank you so much for 2k reads! I would have never guessed that this book could have accomplished 100 reads never the less 2000! So thank you all so much! I know this chapter is short, but I'm hoping to start updating quicker giving you more chapters o read! Thank you guys!

By the way, the song she sung is called "Time to say goodbye/Con Te Partiro. <I spelled that wrong. But my favourite version is when it is sung by Andrea Bocceli and Sarah Brightman.