Chapter Two

Chapter TWO

My eyes roamed around the cafeteria, seeing so much more than any human being. The dust floating around the air, the waves of heat, the vibrations of communications, I saw it all with the naked eye. Even scientists wouldn't be able to invent a piece of technology to see the things I see so clearly. That was a disturbing revelation; it proved I was far from ordinary.

Did I want this? Did I want to see these things so prominently?

Not really.

I had no control over this and I never will. I've come to accept it. I never once complained about it, I wasn't one for pity either. What would me whining about something I couldn't get rid of do? Nothing, so there was no reason for me to waste my time.

A small, sad smile graced my lips where I sat in the secluded part of the cafeteria, away from the eyes of the student body as I remembered my mother’s last words. "You're special sweetie and I love you."

I didn't really understand at the tender age of ten. I never truly understood the words. I never took the time when I was young to reach deeper into the words, to dig for the underlying hint that was spoken through my Mothers last breaths.

I did now though.  I've come to appreciate everything no matter how hard it was to deal with. I've started to thank for all I have because I was blessed. It was a gift that indeed did make me special but to most I was an outcast in society. It was hard when I was little. It started with me seeing things no one else could. I used to be the freak of the year to all my classmates. I was the one who liked to seek for attention as I've heard them whisper amongst themselves. I wasn't sane, just mentally disturbed in their critical eyes.

Their judgment stung like pinpricks to my heart and soul. It still stings. Deep inside I'm severely cut up, just a girl who's hurting painfully. I’m just a girl who wants to fit in and be normal. It’s a sad tale to tell yet I wouldn't get a pinch of sympathy, not a single soul for acceptance.

My lips curved into a humorless smile as I stared at the student body happily eating lunch, catching up with their friends whilst I sat alone, picking at my food distractedly. That's one thing I couldn't be. One thing I shouldn’t have even bothered to mention.

Normal.

I shook my head at my absurdity.

No one wanted to associate with the abnormal girl. I tried to make friends, I really did but it didn't work out. Could you imagine trying to talk to someone and they brush you off in the harshest way possible? Not once, not even twice but every single time. It didn't matter how nice I was, how much I smiled sweetly, how long I laughed at their not so funny jokes. It didn't matter. I was the odd one, the solitary who shall never be in the presence of, as if I was a gruesome curse.

I started to understand and slowly as I grew older, I kept to myself. I stayed quiet; I stayed with my head down. I thought it would be for the best to stay hidden by the harsh eyes of this generation. I consumed myself by the shadows and slowly that was what I had become, a mere silhouette.

But do you know when you’re really not wanted? It's when the teacher's try to stay out of your way too. My teachers, the ones I thought would help through my struggle. The ones who I thought I could talk to in my state of confusion. But instead I would get shouted at in the class, whenever they could grasp the opportunity to do so. I was scolded like a nuisance of a child. They would humiliate me in front of my peers. They would allow the insults thrown my way. They would turn a blind eye.

Why? How could they be so cruel?

I wish I knew. I really do. I guess this was the consequence of attending one of the most overrated schools in the town. It was filled with rich, spoilt kids. Somehow the rumors had found their own way to the teacher’s staff room. I heard amongst two of my science teachers that children like me are frowned upon because they didn’t know the limits to their imagination.