Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I awoke in my bedroom. The sun hadn't risen yet so it was still dark. I moved to stretch but then I felt someone else in the bed with me. I sat up and nearly screamed in surprise but I managed to hold it in when I saw who it was.

Phoenix was huddled close to me, her hands holding onto the end of my shirt in a tight grip. There was this frown on her face, even when she was sleeping she wasn't relaxed. I tried to get her to let go so I could get up, which only resulted in her stirring. Then when I pulled her fingers off my shirt she groaned before opening her eyes.

I hadn't even blinked before she jolted upright. "Fiera! Oh my god! I... I can't believe you! You had me worried sick! I was looking for you, I tried searching every place; if Leon didn't get to you I don't know what could have happened! Why did you lie to me? Are you okay? What happened?"

I sighed. She didn't even look or sound like she had been asleep.

"How did I get back here?" I asked instead of replying to her questions.

She frowned at me before answering, "Leon carried you the whole way. Brought you upstairs, cleaned up all the dirt and scratches, waited for me to change you and then tucked you in to sleep. Your Dad had an early night and I covered you with an excuse."

I nodded, feeling my heart skip a beat as I thought about Mr. Blaze taking care of me.

"He really likes you. I can tell, especially when he warned me to not get angry with you and to not ask too many questions until you were ready. I swear I could have hit him for telling me what to do," Nixie grumbled towards the end.

I smiled.

"I'm sorry Nix, honestly I am. I didn't want to lie to you but I had to," I told her. Then I began to explain everything from beginning to end. I didn't want to have any secrets, they come out eventually and in the end it only causes destruction. Nothing good can come from hiding things from the people you care about.

Phoenix was quiet as I told her about the dark shifters, Eve Devlyn-the witch- and the story of my Mother being alive. It was slightly unnerving as she took it all in motionless. Then I finally ended it with me falling asleep on Leon.

"She's alive?" Nixie asked.

"I don't know what to believe Nix," I whispered. If I talked any louder, I felt like my voice would give my true emotions. I didn't want to cry again.

"Oh Fiera," she choked before pulling me into a hug.

"I don't know what to do Nix, she's out there, she's waiting for me," I said, pulling back to show her how lost I was.

"We're going to find her, we will. I should have known, when they left my Mother there dead and yours wasn't there. I thought they just took her, I didn't think that she made it out. I couldn't think about it when they took me too. I should have-"