Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

My legs carried me speedily out of the classroom as soon as the bell went off. I had no intention to stay in the class any longer than necessary. It was the end of the school day and the revelation had me fleeing out of the English lesson in seconds.

I didn’t even know I could be this fast. 

I didn’t look back as I pushed at the double doors of the school open. Not once did I take a second glance back at the classroom. I was rushing my way to get to the bus; it was my only way of transport home. I had no intent of missing the bus again and walking through the forest.

I was already halfway across the schools parking lot and I hadn't even noticed. That was when I fully took in my surroundings before hearing the heavy pants behind me. I could hear constant shouting of my name across the school. I came to a sudden halt, my eyebrows knotting together in confusion.

"Fiera!" It was definitely my name that was being shouted and it didn’t sound too far away now. I turned around to see Phoenix running towards me, her biker boots thumping with each step. I frowned when she grabbed onto my shoulders and exaggerated heavy breathing before slumping against me.

“Bloody hell Fiera, if you wanted to go for a run then at least give a girl a little warning,” she huffed. It was obvious she wasn't that worn out by catching up to me. I simply pushed her away lightly before letting out a small smile at her antics.

"Quit being dramatic," I rolled my eyes as she grinned up at me with a wink. I watched as she looked back, seeming to look out for someone. I shook the thought away, watching as she zipped her leather jacket up.

"Why were you running out of there like lightening anyway?" She asked with a confused frown. The wind blew at our hair as I coughed. It was strange because it seemed to stop as soon as soon as I finished coughing. I looked at her, trying to see if she caught on but she was just looking at me expectantly.

I coughed again and the wind rushed at Nixie. She frowned before tying her dark hair up in a bun to stop it from whipping at her face. I pursed my lips, my heart speeding up a little. It couldn't be possible that I was...controlling the wind. That was just absurd. It was just a pure coincidence and I wasn't going to test it out right now.

"I need to catch the bus and if I don't go now, then I'm bound to miss it," I explained while walking away.  I was internally freaking out. This was ridiculous. First fire and now wind? That can't be right. It’s not possible. Okay, so I didn’t think it was possible to control fire. I guess nothings impossible.

"Don't worry about the bus. I'll give you a lift and then we can talk too," she said before grabbing my hand and leading me to her car. It was a cute, red Mini Cooper. She opened the driver’s seat and jumped in without any signal and then started the engine a second later while I just stood there.

The blaring of the Mini Cooper’s car horn jolted me and I narrowed my eyes as she stuck her head out the window with a grin before motioning for me to get in. I held back a comment as I walked around the car to the passenger seat. I wasn't going to complain, I was getting a lift home instead of having to take the bus. 

"So, what's the real reason you were running out of the class?" She asked once we were on the main road. I already gave her the directions to my house and I didn’t have anything else to divert the conversation to something different.

"What do you mean real reason? I needed to catch the bus on time," I shrugged. I felt like she saw right through my lie and the way she raised her eyebrows confirmed my suspicions. She didn't believe me.

"So it has nothing to do with a certain teacher who happens to be certain cousin of mine?" I could hear the cheeky smile in her voice as I kept my face forward. I looked out the window as if we were passing an absolutely beautiful sight, which happened to be trees.