Chapter 15: Runaway

*Ali's POV*

*24 hours later*

The hallway was dimly lit by the moon who proudly showed her colors. The silence made the air heavy but I ignored the feeling as I tried to tiptoe through the hall. The distinct sound of a heavy snore from behind me broke the silence and the air seemed to lighten up.

I looked out the window to see the tall trees looming over the house.

I'm so close! I think to myself. Where is that bloody door?!

I trace my finger lightly across the wall as I walked, my fingers practically gliding across the smooth paint.

The hallway seemed never ending but I need to find the end. I quicken my pace toward the unknown, the trees outside started to thin out before becoming something in the distance. Finally, I see a dip in the wall a couple steps away. I bolt for the doorway, my warm hand grasping the harsh, cold metal tightly.

I twisted the knob as slowly as I possibly could and quickly pulled it open to avoid it squeaking as loud. Biting my lip, I look back down the hallway to see if anyone noticed the sound of the door.

A smile broke out on my face realizing that no one was coming.

I stepped outside the dampened air refreshed my mind, wiping away my worries.

I closed the door behind me and started running toward the forest.

I'm free. I can go home. I thought as I ran.

Just as I pushed myself past the underbrush at the start the forest, I heard shouts from back behind me. Suddenly, there were footfalls following me into the forest.

My heart slammed against my ribcage violently. I pushed myself to go as fast as I could, jumping over the variety of fallen tree branches and overgrowth.

I spotted a small creek along side where I was running. At first I dismissed it, but then I remember how they said they were wolves. Wolves had a great sense of smell. It is crazy. As soon as I remembered that, I immediately jumped in and rolled around to hide my scent from them.

I pulled myself out of the mucky water hole and started running again, but this time in a different direction. I shook of my dirty hair and tried not to cringe.

"It's not very nice to run away." A deep voice yelled from some where behind me.

A small scream of surprise  escaped my lips before I sharply turned. Then, I made another sharp turn, the footfalls getting farther and farther away from me as I continued to zig zag through the forest.

When I finally noticed I actually lost them, I collapsed into a heap against a large tree. My bangs remained glued to my forehead from sweat as I attempted to steady my breaths. My heart was beating like crazy and my muscles ached. My clothes stuck to my body and dirt caked my skin. I hated the thought of how terrible and desperate I must look.

Somehow, all I felt was cold and empty, physically and mentally. I knew I couldn't stop for long, because they would find me. They will keep looking for me.

Maverick is going to be so mad at me, but I won't let him find me.

The thought of Maverick made my chest fall, I will never see him again. I know this is what needs to happen, I don't need him. I don't need his sharp, emerald green eyes, or his messy brown hair.

I don't need him.

Suddenly, a faint footsteps could be heard from my left followed by shouts. I jumped up immediately, breath catching in my throat. The voices just got closer and I knew I couldn't out run them. I frantically search for a low branch before my eyes lock on a tree that has branches hanging lowly. I immediately swing my leg over the branch and steady myself before standing up and doing the same thing again and again. I stop about 5 branches up and realize I haven't gotten far but the shouts were so loud I had to keep quiet. Panic made my stomach churn violently. Two men emerged from the tree line, seemingly innocent.