Chapter 13: Starving

*Ali's POV*

I stared at the clock absentmindedly. Maverick never told me when dinner was, but I was ready. The shirt I was wearing was big on me, blue shirt had a cute flimsy bow that made the top and I also had a pair of white pants on.

My hair was still wet and my face felt a little puffy. I feel like I am being too emotional of the whole deal. Kyle was not who I thought he was. He lied to me. He was... A werewolf. My brain ached thinking of all the information. Werewolves were real and my best friend was one.

Suddenly, a knock pulled me from my thoughts. I sighed and walked toward the awaiting door. Maverick smiled charmingly at me as soon as opened the door.

"Hi, Ali." He breathed out. He was wearing a handsome blue plaid shirt that was unbuttoned and revealed a white shirt underneath with jeans. I stayed silent, biting my lip.

"Are you ready?" I felt like his glance was sizing me up and down. I nodded, keeping my eyes cast down.

Maverick grabbed my hand like on instinct and started walking. I jumped at the sudden touch. He glanced at me for a second but kept walking. My hand tingled and my stomach filled with butterflies.

I frowned at the feeling. What the hell is happening to me? Is it because I'm his crazy little wolf thing that he keeps mentioning?

I glanced at Maverick as soon as we stopped by a very large door.

"So Ali, this is where the ranked pack members eat, it's a bit crowded but we get the end of the table away from being in between the wild animals." Maverick smirked as my eyes widened.

"Wild animals? They are humans right??"

"I told you we are wolves but yes they eat in human usually. Unless we are in war form."

"What in the heck is a war form?" He chuckled at my word choice and ignored the question.

"Come on in buttercup," he opened the door and gestured me in.

The room had two tables lined up in it with a small chandelier dangling in between them. They tables were full of people and children laughing. As soon as we walked in the room slowly started to fill with silence.

The silence made my chest tighten with nerves. They all stared directly at us, some with distain and others pure curiosity.

I squeezed Maverick's hand, my palms sweaty. I thought this would be a nice little dinner with just Maverick and I. Nope,
I thought. Let's leave please. I kept in my mind as Maverick dragged me along. My hand still tingled pleasantly for an unknown reason.

Maverick cleared his throat as we reached two empty chairs at the very end of the tables. The people closest to us whispered excitedly to themselves.

Maverick pulled a chair back for me and I sat in it slowly. My face burned and I looked down. The people in the room slowly went back to chatting loudly and carelessly. Maverick grabbed my hand under the table and the tingles shot through my body. My panic eased slightly.

My hand laid lazily in Mavericks. I didn't bother pulling away; I can't say I hated the feeling of his hand in mine.

The room suddenly came to a silence. There were many people dressed in casual clothes holding food. The air in the room heated slightly and the smell was amazing. My stomach tightened and let out a small growl. Maverick chuckled at me as the food was placed down on the table.

No one moved to get it, and the only movement in the room was the people previously carrying food walking out.

Maverick let go of my hand and stood up. Everyone's eyes were glued to him.