Chapter 21

~oOo~

“I think I’m gonna collapse,” I muttered into Sam’s shoulder. Outside the dark lights of the highway flashed past creating phantasms.

I felt him chuckle by the way his shoulders lifted. “Good thing we’re nearly at…” he paused awkwardly trying to search for the words to describe his alternative universe self.

“At your ‘modest digs’?” I offered gently kicking Dean’s ankle.

Sam seemed to roll the thought around his head a few times. “Yeah.”

A heavy silence fell over the trio as we listened to the gentle hum of the car underneath us. Clint, Cliff? Clint, Yeah, turned left pulling into the huge imposing driveway of the mansion. I pulled away from Sam and greatly followed after him as we stepped out onto the gravel. It stood as loud and threatening as before towering a black silhouette line into the darkened night sky.

We walked in through the grand front door and we were instantly met with the sounds of a woman sobbing. My gaze was thrown to Sam as the only logical person it could be was alternative universe Ruby. I was graced to his eyebrows skyrocket and his head quirk slightly as the disarray of black hair and streaming mascara burst into the room.

“Oh my god! Oh my god!” she kept crying out her hands going to her face.

Dean and I both looked to Sam as he remained slightly incapable with forming words. “She’s your wife dude,” Dean stated when he looked to his brother for help.

There was enough time for Sam to throw Dean a dirty look before he questioned, “What?”

“Misha!” she cried out as sobs wracked her body. “He’s been stabbed to death!”

I let my mouth fall agape but the two brothers didn’t seem to be affected in any such way. They even dared to both question, “Where?”

Not Ruby seemed to be disgusted or shocked. Her mouth fell open and she growled, “Where?!”

~oOo~

The alleyway was cast in a dark blue shadow, the wet cobble stones lined the stretch of the street and brick walls towered high above us. The blue flashed red for a heartbeat before returning and continuing. Police had taped up the scene and stood on guard.

My nerves stood on end as a large knot formed between my shoulder blades bringing my stance tense and coiled. Deep in my gut I knew that Virgil wouldn’t have killed Misha unless he had something, but I just couldn’t place my finger on it. And then there was the question of why did Jacob smile at me that last moment we saw each other. It had been a bloody grotesque grin of victory. What had he wanted that he had gotten from that? A bloody face? I highly doubted it. And so I stood at the fringes of the shadowy alleyway facing away from the two brothers.   

“You OK?” Dean questioned from close behind me.

I jumped slightly, twisting around to meet his gaze. “Yeah,” I replied biting down on my bottom lip. His eyes softened while his mouth sharply cut out to a straight grim line. I could tell he was about to tell me not to lie to him. “I just can’t think why Virgil would kill Misha unless he had something to back himself up with. And then…” I paused looking briefly over to Dean through shy eyelashes. The grim line had left and genuine interest had caught his bright green eyes. “Well, when they pulled you and Sam off Jacob he smiled. It wasn’t like any normal smile though Dean it was those one’s the villains’ in the shows get when they won or outsmarted the good guys. I just can’t put my finger on what.”