An Angel Called Castiel

If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge…

*~*~*

Golden sunlight filtered through the towering corn in the field. She was holding out her hand for me and stumbled forward with the black scarf around her eyes, a smile on her soft golden face of hers. The sun catching the light of her dusty brown hair flecked with a golden flame of red. An angel in human form, lost and forgotten from those in haven. She laughed and reached out to touch my hand. Their loss, I think.

“Micki! Micki this isn’t fair!” she protested coming to a stop. Her hand went to take the blindfold of her eyes but I pushed it down.

“Not yet,” I say and take hold of her hand. She gave me a small push,

“If you’re thinking that you can fool me around you might want to think twice. I’m dangerous you know,” she said with a stern smile. I rolled my eyes,

“Yeah I know. You can do Kung-Fu,” I say. She’d mentioned it several times now; if anything it was the first thing that she’d said. It was one of the reasons I chose the challenge, girls like her never came into town.

The smile she had faded slightly as we drew closer to the water’s edge. She stopped before we came to the edge of the sweet running stream. I put a hand on the small of her back and pressed gently,

“What are we doing by the water?” she asked suspiciously taking a ginger step forward.

“It’s somewhere I go when… when I feel angry and it makes me feel better,” I say with a smile pressing her forwards again, this time taking hold of her right hand. That would be the hardest to fight, I think with a smile. This had been all so easy for a smart girl like her… Her name, I’ve forgotten her name, I realised, but it wouldn’t matter.

“Well then,” she said, “Can I take this thing off?” she asked going to touch the black blindfold.

“No,” I say and take hold of her hair before slamming her head down against a stone in the river. Blood red tickled the water’s current.

She didn’t give much of a fight to my disappointment; I thought a girl like her would have a little more fight. Her head was hanging limp under the water after a good half a minute when I slowly pulled my hand back out of its icy depths. When I did she was still for a long moment, her hand trailing in the water as thick auburn red hair trailed in the water.

Within a second that changed and her hand flew back. Her leg swung around as she let rip a loud scream that echoed off the trees. No one can hear, the closet road is a good ten minutes’ walk away, I think and grab hold of a handful of hair and punched her face. She growled at me and lashed out again, but missed feebly.

“You can scream all you want girl,” I say to her smiling as her large blue eyes glared angrily at me. “You’ll die and no one will notice, no one will look and no one will ever care,” I continued and punch her again.

“Why,” she asked with a hiss. I hit her hard in the stomach and slammed her head against my knee, drawing more blood. Silent tears streamed down her face, or trickles of water, it didn’t matter. “I’ll have you done for this you jerk!” she spat and got me just below the eye.

“No you won’t,” I say and whisper why before her eyes went wider and I threw her head under the cold water. This time she fought, and for a good while as well. Though in time they all go limp, they all turn a shade paler and then the water floods their lungs and then they breathe no more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dean go faster,” Sam said angrily after placing the cell phone down.

“I’m going as fast as she’ll go,” Dean said holding onto the wheel of the 1967 Impala. The engine roaring under the two men as the tires ran over concrete. “What did Castiel say anyway?”

“He said we had to get to the river before the girl in the black blindfold breaks a cold man’s false revenge.”

“English?” Dean suggested and Sam sighed,

“That’s the way Cas put it.”

“Then can you translate?” Dean continued, looking from the road to his brother before back to the road again. He shifted slightly and his grip went around the wheel before he looked back to his silently sullen brother. “Was this girl hot?”

“Dean!” Sam exclaimed angrily.

“What?” Dean continued innocently.

“Dean she’ll be dead if can’t get to her fast enough!”

“I’m going fast!” Dean exclaimed back as Sam shook his head and looked out to the blur, hoping to find the image that Cas had planted into his brain. The field seemed oddly familiar as a flash of the two walking through the cornfield smashed his vision in a flash of white. Cas had insisted that this was important, very, very, very important. Apparently he couldn’t stress how much it mattered that she lived, but he wouldn’t give an explanation as to why he couldn’t do it himself.

“Here,” Sam said suddenly as the concrete gave way to a dirt road, no car was parked up, but there was a break in the tall corn field where a person would have walked through.

Dean shoved his foot onto the break and swerved the car around to a sudden stop. As soon as the car was stationary Sam was out of the car and heading towards where the Corn had been pushed aside. “Hurry Dean!” Sam insisted as his older brother got out of the car as quickly as he could. A slight limp in his foot as he ran after his brother.

Sam didn’t wait; instead he ran onwards, pushing the corn out of his way to get towards the girl. The closer he got the faster the images came into his head, like her image was searing itself into his brain. Bright blue eyes, long auburn hair a shade of dusty brown. A sprinkle of small freckles scattered across her face and full red lips.

Dean was close behind Sam with an unusual stride because of the wound to his leg. In the last hunt the two brothers had a man shoot at them, grazing Dean’s left leg with a liveable wound.

Suddenly the corn gave way and the sound of a river following gently came to sound. A woman lay on her front with her head in the water and her hand trailing along the water with the current. Sam fell to his knees next to her and pulled her face from the water, her body limp like a fish from the water. He fumbled quickly to check for a pulse at her neck, holding her cold body against his own large and warm one.

“Pulse?” Dean asked coming to rest his hands on his thighs to catch his breath. “Please tell me there’s a pulse,” he continued looking at the silently, deathly still girl. The black blindfold tainted with blood still rested in a knot of her wet hair.

“There’s no pulse,” Sam stated looking up to his older brother sadly, “We didn’t get here in time,” he continued and lay her down on the grass where a fight had taken place. You could see the bruising rising on her cheek and the swollen split lip.

“We got here as fast as we could Sam,” Dean tried to reassure his brother, but within his self he was finding it hard himself. How was he going to tell Cas that we couldn’t save the girl. “Is there any way that we could get the son of a bitch?”

“Maybe,” Sam said stepping away and looking at the large willow that sagged at the edge of a small clearing. Dean sighed and looked down at the pretty looking woman, maybe about 23, a rosy red tone slowly forming on her cheekbones and her darkened auburn hair plastered across a pale face.

“Why the hell was Cas so determined we get here?” Dean thought aloud, kneeling down to touch the woman’s face where the bruise was. He could have sworn he saw a twitch, but it must have been some lingering nerve.

“Why does he turn up out of the blue after months of no contact and tell us we have to do this!” Sam continued stopped and Dean poised as a gunshot fired a chorus of dogs barking rang out across the corn field. A groan made the two of them look back to the drowned girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~