13

"Oh! Look who finally decided to show up!" Mason mocked his partner as he walked back into their lair.

"Hey, man! I was arrested, for crying out loud!" Mike snapped. "Why didn't you come and get me?!"

Mason laughed darkly. "Mike, did you really think I cared about you that much?"

Mike frowned. "Well, we're partners. I thought...ya know, we would have each other's backs."

Mason made a sound of disgust. "Partnership is only for the weak."

Mike made a turn to leave, but Mason quickly pulled him back, pinning him to the ground. "You do realize, that every prey has to turn savage, and I stay in power. Now, tell me how is that supposed to work when you're in my way."

Mike's eyes widened. "N-no...!" He was quickly shot in the head.

*********

~two days later~

"Okay, truth or dare?" Nick asked his friend as they were sitting around at the hospital.

"Hmm..." Judy thought. "Truth."

Nick threw his head back. "Oh, come on, carrots!"

"What? I'm too scared to say dare when you're playing," she said.

"Okay, okay, fine," Nick pouted. "Is it true that you...have over 300 siblings?"

"Yes," Judy laughed. "Half boys, half girls."

"Wow," Nick said. "You weren't lying. You bunnies really do multiply fast."

For some, unknown reason, Judy found herself blushing at that. "Oh, yeah? Well, how fast do foxes multiply?"

Nick's ears perked up, an he raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Uh, well...it's usually one kit at a time."

"Hmm," Judy smiled. "You guys are lucky!"

"Now, now," Nick smiled. "Who's the species that gets the most hate during daylight hours?"

"True..." Judy said. "I'm sorry."

"No, no, it's fine."

"Really, I am," she had a look of concern on her face. "I-I should've known..."

"Judy, its fine. You didn't hurt my feelings, if that's what you're worried about?" He laughed, blushing a bit.

Judy let out a small laugh, and smiled nervously, crossing her arms and looking down at the hospital floor. "Nick, is it true that you like me?"

"Huh?" Nick's heart sped up. "Wait, y-you didn't even ask me truth or dare!"

She looked up, her face turning a deep Crimson. "This one's not a choice."

Nick gulped. "Well, uh..." He found himself scratching the fur on the back of his neck. "O-of course, carrots, y-you're my best friend." Nick hoped that was what she was talking about.

"No," Judy shook her head. "I meant... Do you... like me, like me."

"Well," Nick laughed, nervously. "That is a very good question, carrots...I mean, you tell me, do I like you, like you?"

Judy's ears dropped. "Nick, this isn't some kind of joke. I-I mean it. I've...I've been holding in these feelings for you for a while...e-ever since you said that you loved me when I was shot. Did you mean it?" She looked as if she was about to burst into tears at any moment, now.

Nick felt like he couldn't breathe anymore. How was he supposed to answer this question? Yes, of course I mean it, Judy! I love you! I love you so much! He felt like saying. But he was afraid. He didn't know why, cause she had just admitted that she liked him. What was his problem?

His first instinct was to get up, and hug her, which he did. His arms wrapped around her tiny waist, gently, because of the injury on her side.

Judy sniffled. "Nick...I-I love you," she grabbed onto his tie, and cried into his shirt. "Do you love me?"

The fox's eyes widened. What? She feels the same way? He wished he could say it back. It was too hard. He couldn't. So he never did.

Judy cuddled up to him for the rest of the night, but seemed a bit upset after Nick didn't say it back. Her ears were droopy, and eventually, she fell asleep.

Nick smiled at the resting bunny in his arms. No, he didn't deserve her! He never said that he loved her back! Even if he said it before, he never conformed that he actually meant it, which he did. He just couldn't bring himself to say it. Why was it so hard to say it?! He's said it before! Why is it so hard, now?