Chapter Three: Hospitals (part one)

Hey guys... So it's been a while, huh? It's just... I'm not sure people are liking this book so... Well, let's work on speaking our minds, okay? Great! It took me so many different trys to get this chapter the way I wanted it.

_____________________________________________________

Kase:

    I have always made an effort to stay as healthy as possible. Any injuries I get, I do my best to heal at home. I even go to the school nurse if I’m desperate. The reason being is that I just can’t afford to be in the hospital. I have work and school… And no money to be throwing away. I think hospitals are great and I think that everything would fall apart without them, but I try my best to avoid them. Not only am I losing money, but they also ask questions. I don’t like answering questions. They don’t need to know what happened to get this or that particular bruis(s), yet they always ask and demand an answer.

    So you can understand my reaction when I was told that I have not only been in the hospital for two day, but I can’t leave yet either.

    “What?! You can’t keep me here! I can’t stay here! I’m leaving right now.”

    Three nurses and plenty of restraints later, a handsome looking doctor entered the room.

    “Hello, Kase, I am Dr. Smith. You, sir, had a bad beating. How did this happen?” He raised his eyes from the clipboard he was studying to quirk his eyebrow, waiting for an answer he wasn’t going to get.

    “I don’t know, sir. I just woke up and felt pain everywhere,” I answered in a sickly sweet voice, hoping he would get the hint that he was not going to get a legit answer from me.

    “Yeah, and I woke up and was suddenly a doctor,” He said in sarcasm. He didn’t get the hint apparently. I rolled my eyes and looked out at the sky from my hospital bed. I wasn’t going to listen to his pointless attempts to get an answer from me. “Listen, Kase, I have assumptions and even suspects. There is a kid named Braylin that has been on our tale about your injuries, and he confessed to punching you in the ribs the day you were admitted to the hospital. He also told us about how another kid had hit you in the back of the head before you went unconscious. He managed to even give a name…” Dr. Smith trailed off and I growled. That kid-

    “Listen, I just need you to fix me up and send me on my way. I can’t be sitting in here for more days than I already have. I also can’t be dealing with your poor attempt at helping me out with that guy. Please, just patch up whatever I have wrong with me-”

    “You have two broken ribs. One of those broken ribs pierced your lungs and they collapsed. You also have a concussion. Now, I know that your ribs must have been cracked pretty bad before Braylin punched you again, and that broke one of them. The concussion either came from the punch to the back of the head or came from a combination of you hitting your head somewhere else and then the punch. All of these are very obvious and alarming signs pointing to some kind of serious abuse, and I am not allowed to just “fix you up and send you on your way” as you put it. In this case, we need to question your parents and people around you… Since you obviously won’t be telling me.” Dr. Smith was getting frustrated, I could tell. I was too.

    “I don’t want your help! I’m not abused by my parents or any relative. I’m fine. So please just let me go home,” I have officially resorted to begging…

    “Kase-”

    “Please.” Something shifted in his eyes at my words. I had tears that were pooling there and I just stared at him letting my emotions shine through just for a minute. He stared me in the eyes for a minute or so before sighing and his shoulders sagged. I filled with hope as I watched him struggle to pick the right thing to do.

    “Kase… The most I can do for you is just give you medical attention and ignore the situation other than your injuries. I still have to keep you here another day. That chest tube can’t come out until tomorrow. We had to re-inflate your lungs. Kase, if I do this, I am risking my medical license big time. This isn’t like a little white lie or anything. If I keep this to myself… It’s a huge risk to my career, you know this, right? You know what you are asking of me, correct?” He stared at me very seriously as he said these words, and I felt bad that he was going to have to do these things.

    “Can’t you just put in my file that you didn’t find anything from talking to my friends and family? It will be better if you can just do that. Put in there that I got in a fight with somebody and I lost,” I offered the best solution I could think of. It was still lying, but it was still half the truth. He just didn’t know it. He was willing to risk his license to help me… I owe him at least half of the truth.

    “Is that what happened?” His facial expression cleared a little bit, but only a little bit. I caught on to what he was doing, quickly.

    “Yes, sir. It was after school and we got in a fight just outside the gates leading to the school,” This way, he could still put down what I said happened, he’s covered and so am I.

    “I still have to keep you until tomorrow because of that chest tube,” He made a gesture with his head to me and I looked down at a tube sticking out from my side that I hadn’t noticed until just now. I swore in my mind and knew that that was the best I was going to get from Dr. Smith.

    “Okay… How did you get my file and all of that?” I just realized that there was practically no way they could’ve gotten my information unless…

    “Your parents came and filled out information and left right after- which was actually really odd... The school called them,” He hummed out while he filled out some stuff on the clipboard that was still in his hands. I sat in shock as this information went through my head. They actually came? Why? “Braylin is in the waiting room at the moment. He claimed to be your cousin and your parents didn’t exactly deny it, so he’s been sitting by your bedside the last two, going on three, days. I had to make him leave while I had this chat with you, though. Would you like for me to send him in?” I was shocked, yet again.

*** PART ONE***

Guys, it's late and I'm really tired. I want to give you guys a little something, but I want to include more in this chapter.... But I'm tired. So this is the first part and part two will come tomorrow. I promise. I love you guys!

~ASH