Fifteen

"Happy Birthday, sweetie!" My mum said happily, leaning over the table to hug me. I hugged her back, and smiled at my brother over her shoulder. "It's lovely, mum," I thanked her, letting her put the watch on next to the Doctor's, which I noticed didn't tell the time in numbers, but another language I could not understand. My mother took my wrist in her hand and looked at the gold watch with interest. "This is beautiful, did you get this for Lily, Doctor?" she asked the man sat next to me, who nodded, a small smile on his lips. I looked over at him, and swore I could see a small blush rise to his seemingly young cheeks. "Hey Lils, mine is here, I hope yer like it, but the reciept's in the bag if yer don't," my brother said, passing me a soft parcel. I peeled off the shimmering paper to reveal a high waist cobalt blue lace dress with a pleated skirt and long sleeves. I held it up against me, and looked in the mirror above the mantelpiece. "It's beautiful Tom, I love it!" I beamed, going around the table to hug my brother. "In fact..." I started, before going into the downstairs's toilet and pulling the light cord. In the tight space, I took off what I was wearing, and slipped on the stunning gift. Before any of them could see me, I rushed upstairs to dump my clothes on the bed, and, with the deep blue Converse still in my hands, I sat on the bottom step and tied the the laces. I took a deep breath and started down the stairs.

Doctor's POV

I stood at the stairs, waiting for Lillian to come back down so I could take her on her birthday surprise trip, when a wondrous sight met my eyes. The nervous-looking young girl was stood halfway down the stairs, the blue dress fitting her perfectly on the arms, the short skirt hanging gracefully on her legs, and her auburn hair falling in waves. And her shimmering green eyes. Those eyes-

"Don't wanna go catching any flies, do we timelord?" she announced, and I closed my gaping mouth so I looked less like a fish and more like a man. "I-I'm so sorry," I stammered. "Where are my manners? Actually, I think I sold them on the black market on planet Norsha, lovely people, bit dodgy though, I really should've-"

I was once again cut off by her, bounding off the bottom step, her hands on my shoulders, looking up at me expectantly. "So, Doctor, aren't we going somewhere?" she asked me.

Lillian's POV

"So, Doctor, aren't we going somewhere?" I asked, looking up into his green eyes. He took my hands in his, and intertwined our fingers. "Yep, but it's a surprise!" he said eagerly, smiling warmly at me. "In fact, there is one other surprise," he said, his face suddenly serious. I stared at him curiously. "what is tha-" shock stopped my sentence when his soft lips touched my cheek. He leaned away and looked at me, sure enough I smiling like an idiot, my pale face blushed pink. He put a finger to my lips when my mum came into the hallway. I let go of both of his hands to grasp one, meeting my mother's curious gaze. I could see she suspected something was going on, but didn't mention it; she wasn't that embarassing, at least. "You off travelling, you two?" she asked, looking from The Doctor to myself, and back again. "Yup," I answered, popping the p. She pulled us both into a tight, but awkwardly comforting, hug. "I've said it before young lady, and I'll say it again; be safe!" she said, only slightly bossy. "Yes mother," the Doctor and I said simultaneously, and mum gave him a light slap on the shoulder. "Oh, you'll make me feel old, young man!" she exclaimed. My brother came into the hall, and I dropped the hand that was in mine to go over to him, receiving my usual bear hug. "Have fun, and call, okay, Lils?" he asked, and I gave him an assuring nod. "Oh you'll never look old, Mrs Waters," the Doctor complimented my mother. I rolled my eyes, and pulled him towards the front door. "Stop flirting with my mother!" I scolded him, dragging him down the front step. He closed the door behind him, his wrist still grasped between my fingers. "Me, flirt? How could you accuse me of such a thing?" he replied, mocking being hurt, and I just giggled to myself.  just knew he was winking, and I didn't notice I was biting my lip until I looked in the TARDIS window.