Twelve

• Dedicated to Lauren Wallis

He made straight for the console, flicking buttons and pulling levers as he danced around the room, leather boots sliding across the floor. I gazed at the flashing panels in fascination, wondering how on earth he knew what everything did. "It's a bit quiet in here Lils, put some music on if you want!" he exclaimed, coming to a skidding halt in front of the typewriter. Shrugging, I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and searched through my music. "Perfect." I said to myself, before searching for somewhere in amongst the flashing and clicking to plug it in. "Just plug that wire on the gramophone into your phone," he said, answering my unasked question. It kind of creeped me out that he knew what I was thinking. I plugged the golden wire into my phone, and pressed 'Play'. The Doctor beamed as he heard the start of the song. "Ah, Here Comes The Sun, one of my favourites by The Beatles. Went to go see them play, early 1963. Great singers, amazing fashion sense, although Paul never quite grasped the concept of shoes...” he trailed off, glimpsing at my Abbey Road shirt in amusement. I grinned, and pulled off my shoes and slid along the glass floor, my dernier tights making me drift around the room. I took off a bit too quickly, and went flying into the Doctor, holding onto his waist for dear life. I threw my head back in laughter, as he sighed at me. I could feel him rolling his eyes. "Don't you go rolling your eyes, timelord!" I exclaimed, sliding over to my shoes, sitting down on the white leather chair to lace them back onto my feet. "Finished?" he asked, chuckling. "And for the record, I was NOT rolling my eyes at you, Miss Parker!" he stated insistently pulling the handle downwards with such force that he almost pulled it off the console. "Liar," I murmured., fixing my auburn hair.

"Hey! I heard that, you, you, ninny!" he responded, as we materialised onto what I guessed was an alien spaceship, whirring and creaking, before coming to a complete stop. Curious, I opened the door a fraction, and poked my head out to see where we were. The sight that met my eyes sent a shiver down my spine. Harsh blue lighting dimly illuminated the stone cold metal corridor that continued into the darkness. I quickly closed the TARDIS door, and span around to face the Doctor's questioning expression. "We're in what seems like a cold metal corridor, and-" I was suddenly cut off by the haunting sound of a emotionless, robotic voice, not far from us. The Doctor put a finger to his lips, and pressed his face up against the door, all his attention focused on hearing what was going on outside. I copied him, leaning up against the wood, completely silent.

"The Cyberarmy is decreased. We must open a new time window. The Doctor and his companion destroyed the last one. The upgrading process of the earth must continue. We must report to the CyberLeader."

We took our faces away from the door as we heard them marching away, and I looked at his serious expression. "Not while I'm here," he murmured. He looked at me, smiling slightly, holding out  his hand. I took it, grinning, and he opened the door of the blue box slightly poking his head out, as I had done. He tugged on my hand, so I tripped out into the eerie blue light. I closed the TARDIS, before following the Doctor down the metal walkway. He pulled his sonic screwdriver out of his pocket, and pointed it at the dim lights above us, so they gave out a warmer glow of white light. All of a sudden, I heard the sound of robotic marching behind me, so I grabbed the Doctor's hand, and exclaimed "Run!", and we ran as fast as we could away from the Cyberman, skidding around corners and sonicking doors with the screwdriver and looking over our shoulders every couple of seconds, in case it caught up with us. We came to a sudden halt when we reached a colossal rectangular shaped hall, which looked as if it could fit twenty football stadiums inside. The walls were full of what appeared to be cells, each one housing a Cyberman. There were hundreds of upon thousands of the things behind thick glass, and many more of them, marching defenseless people wearing blank expressions down the corridor behind me. I swallowed, and looked over at the Doctor, who looked just as worried as I did.

"Intruder! Intruder!" a chorus of the voices yelled, turning their sinister silver heads over to look at us. "Oh..." was all the Doctor could say, as a look of grim realisation crossed his face. 

"You are not Cyberman. How have you gained access to our ship?" a louder voice demanded. I looked up, to see a Cyberman about a hundred feet tall, standing high above the others in the middle of the vast room. "Ahh, well," the Doctor spoke, craning his neck to look up into the face of the metal giant. "You must be the CyberLeader. I am the Doctor, and I'm here to stop YOU upgrading  the people of earth!" He shouted up at the leader, a seemingly relaxed look on his old yet young face. Though I knew full well he wasn't relaxed. He was wringing his hands together nervously, his brain obviously working tirelessly on a solution. "Take the young female. She will be upgraded." Two metal hands clamped onto my shoulders. "Doctor!" I screamed as I was dragged away  from the timelord and out of the room. "Lillian! No!" he exclaimed, and his pained yells were the last sound I heard before I was dragged down the dark, unforgiving corridor.