Ten

He explained about meeting my mum for the first time, how she'd marvelled at the box in the exact way I did.  "So, what you're saying is, I'm kind of like you?" I asked, and he nodded. I smiled a little. "It would be nice to change my look once in a while I suppose. Beats dying!" I laughed, and he grinned at me. 

"One more thing...when you've been at the hospital, have any of the nurses said anything about your heartbeat being a bit odd?" He asked, gently taking hold of my wrist and checking for my pulse.

"Well, whenever I did fitness at school they said my pulse of 200 beats a minute wasn't normal...is it?" I answered. He took his hand away from my wrist. "It is for someone like you," he said, showing me the screen again, only swiping it along again, to reveal my pulse and oxygen levels and that kind of thing.

"See, as your only half timelord, you don't have two hearts. But, because your body is stronger than a human's, your heartbeat is twice, sometimes even three times faster than usual," he explained, pushing the screen around to the other side of the console. "Cool!" I smiled. He made for the door, and I quickly followed. "How are you with danger?" He asked, opening the door for me.

"Danger is my middle name," I replied dramatically, and he chuckled, shutting the box behind him. He checked the inside of his jacket subconsciously, and looked a bit downcast when his hand came out empty. "Missing something?" I asked, taking the sonic out of my bag and waving it around in front of his face. He reached out to grab it, but I took out of his reach and ran down the sandy path. "Hey!" he shouted, and I heard the sound of his sandals kicking up dust on the beaten track. I span round to face him, still running, with no idea where I was going. "You're going to have to get it off my first!" I said, grinning evilly. All of a sudden, my heel hit a stone sticking out of the ground and I fell flat on my back. Still running, the Doctor tripped over and fell right on top of me, eyes looking into mine. "Hello there," he said, raising his eyebrows. I burst into fits of laughter and rolled over onto my side. A shadow blocked out the sunlight above me, and the Doctor had his hand out, ready to help me up. I took it, dusting sand off of my toga. "Let’s go talk to some people!" I said, beginning to walk off. He cleared his throat, and I rolled my eyes and handed him the sonic, and he instantly put it in his inside pocket, out of my reach. I pouted jokingly, and he just rolled his eyes and started to walk in the opposite direction. I came up beside him and we made our way back into the main part of the market. The Doctor pulled out something resembling a wallet and flipped it open. “What’s that?” I asked, looking at the piece of blank paper. “Psychic paper,” He replied. “I can make people believe that I’m anybody, for example...” 

I looked back at the paper and it read, ‘Private Investigator for Alexander the Great’ I laughed, and he put it away again. “We certainly look the part!” I said, walking over to the fruit stall. “Hello. What would you like?” asked a blonde haired young man stood behind the stall. The Doctor held the Psychic Paper up, and the man nodded understandingly. The Doctor leaned in and whispered, “Have you seen anything funny going on around here? Any people acting weirdly or talking funny?” He drew back up to his full height, and sadness suddenly filled the young Greek’s eyes. “Just a week ago, I and my friend went to see the first ever play. It was a big thing you know, and I was looking forward to it, I get so bored in this town. Anyway, it was halfway through, and the two people on stage pulled off their masks and marched towards the crowds, shouting in odd voices. I was so afraid, and ran for my life, but my poor friend, he was grabbed my one of the things, and it dragged him away, through a stone wall. I never saw him again,” he finished, a tear running down his face. I leaned over the fruit and looked at him sympathetically. “We’ll find out what happened to your friend, I promise,” I muttered. He smiled sadly.

“Thank you, pretty girl, and you, pointy chinned man,” He replied. I blushed slightly, but smiled gratefully, and looked at the Doctor, who looked a bit disgruntled. “Oh cheer up, Mr Grumpy,” I said to him, hitting him on the arm as we walked back to the TARDIS, which looked slightly out of place in the Ancient Greek market place. “How come no one ever notices a really obvious blue box just sat there right in front of them?” I asked, as we went back into the blue box.

“Air conditioning on! Well, it’s so weird, nobody gives it a second glance,” he replied, and the room cooled down instantly. I ran back up the stairs and into the closet, closely followed by the bowtie-wearing alien. Just as he went to walk in, I locked the door. “I just need a minute!” I shouted from the other side of the door. I could almost imagine him rolling his deep green eyes, before I heard him making his way down the stairs. I unlocked my phone. “No signal. No wonder, phones aren’t invented for another couple of thousands of years,” I told myself, and quickly changed back into my tights, shorts and Beatles t-shirt. I opened the door and ran back down the stairs to the Doctor, who looked quite funny waiting patiently for me in his ill-fitting toga and sandals. “Are you ready to go see some Cybermen?” He asked, going over to the main console. “Yeah, sure, sounds awesome. But first, we need to go and see my mum about a mad man.”