Chapter 5:

Chapter 5:

I snuck around to her bedroom window and peered in, seeing that she was playing her PS2 with her back to the window, oblivious to my presence.

I backed up sat down right below her window and began to think. What random wolf would wander from here, to Oakridge, back here, and then stop just twenty minutes from Amanda's house? The trail they left wasn't just a wandering wolf trail, it was a trail from a wolf that knew it would be followed. This wolf was trying to confuse its tracker, but I wasn't confused at all.

It was just too much of a coincidence. Jimmy's left arm and then the scent trail leading to here. He knew where Amanda lived, so it only made more sense. Now, I would have to stake out his house until I saw what kind of wolf he exactly was. But first... I needed to know where he lived.

"Welcome back, Marie," Mr. Fredrickson said as I sat down at my seat with my book.

"Thanks, Mr. Fredrickson," I replied. He was the Mythology teacher.

"Alright. Open your books to page 893. For the next few weeks we'll be studying the mysterious creatures known as werewolves," he announced as he began to write something on the board.

I froze and then slowly flipped to the page he ordered. The title of the chapter said Werewolves, Pentawolves, and Shifters. Seriously?!

"Werewolves, pentawolves, and shifters. Can anyone tell me the differences between those three?" he asked, facing the class.

I knew the differences, but I didn't raise my hand, nor did any of the other students.

"Werewolves change how often?" Mr. Fredrickson tried.

A girl who sat next to me raised her hand warily.

"Yes?"

"Every full moon?" she tried.

"Correct. How about pentawolves?" Mr. Fredrickson asked.

I raised my hand.

"Yes?"

"What exactly is a pentawolf?" I asked, even though I knew pretty much everything about the three types.

"A pentawolf is cursed by a witch. Pentawolves bare the mark of a pentagram on either of their hands, on their shoulder, or on their chest," Mr. Fredrickson explained as he drew a pentagram on the board. I glanced down at the scar on my left hand and slowly covered it with my sleeve. 

"What does a Jew star have to do with witches?" some boy asked from behind me.

Mr. Fredrickson laughed. "This, is not a Jew star. It's a pentagram. Witches use it to cast spells, such as the pentawolf spell. Most may call it a curse, though," he explained. "So, does anyone at least have a guess of how often they change?"

Nobody raised their hand.

"Pentawolves change every night. It's impossible for them to change during the day because the spell they are cursed with is a spell of black magic. When a black magic spell is used to curse someone into a creature, such as the pentawolf, they become a creature of the dark, or also known as, a creature of the night," he explained. "How about shifters? How often do they change?"

Once again, nobody raised their hand.

"Shifters change whenever they want, whether it's day or night. They don't shift back when the sun comes up like the werewolves and pentawolves, no. They can stay in their wolf form for as long as they want to," he explained.

"How can you tell the difference between them? Do they take different forms or do they all just look the same?" the same girl from next to me asked.