Chapter 3:

Chapter 3:

I woke up to being carried down the hall and to my bedroom. I opened my eyes and looked up at Tanner who was pulling the blankets up around me. "When did I fall asleep?" I asked.

He sat down on the bed next to me and rested a hand on my thigh. "Half-way through the movie," he replied.

I yawned and he stood up, getting ready to leave. "Don't leave," I said drowsily.

He turned back to me and smiled. "I'll be right back," he said and left the room. I wanted to change out of my jeans, but my body was too sleep-high to stand.

Before I knew it, Tanner was back with sweats and his black t-shirt. I smiled and sat up. "How do you always look so amazing?" I asked.

He climbed in bed next to me and put his arms around me, pulling me to him. "How do you?" he asked, kissing my cheek lightly.

I rolled over to face him and just looked into his beautiful green eyes while he looked right back into my blue ones. "I love you," I whispered.

He smiled softly and kissed me on the lips with his hands resting on my sides, pulling me close to him. I twined my fingers in his brown hair and pressed myself to him. My mind began to spin as he rolled me onto my back and leaned over me, not once pulling away. His hand traveled from my right side down to my right leg as he pulled it up around him. Our kisses hadn't gotten this instense in a very long time.

I pressed my body into the curvature of his. My senses were going crazy, both human and wolf. I could smell his hormones, my hormones, his cologne, the dust in the air, and the scent a wolf... Wait a second...

I pulled back and looked around as he kissed and lightly nipped my neck, but I was too preoccupied with the wolf to notice. My body went rigid and he noticed. He pulled back and tried to look me in the eyes. "Marie, what's wrong?" he asked.

I slid out from under him and walked silently to the door.

"Marie?" he asked.

"Stay here," I said, and slid out of my bedroom, closing and locking the door behind me. I didn't want him to see whatever else was in here.

I crept to my dad's room, following the scent. It was fresh, which meant it was still in here. I stopped when I heard the slightest of shuffling coming from behind the door. I took a deep breath, preparing for a fast shift as I flung the door open and switch the light on.

And there, standing on my dad's bed, was a reddish-brown wolf staring at me with his teeth bared, ears back, and a slight growl. I shut and locked the door behind me, willing the change on. It was fast, so fast that I dind't even feel it. I was on all fours, my teeth bared, and I growled.

The other wolf jumped down off the bed and went straight for me, with his jaws parted, obivously going for my neck.

I jumped out of the way and grabbed him by the scruff, using my neck muscles to lift him up and slam him down onto the ground. He yelped, but stood up and charged me again. A deep growl errupted from my chest and I stood up tall with my teeth bared and jaws parted.

He stopped in his tracks and lowered himself to the ground with his teeth bared and growling as well. Suddenly, he launched himself at me once more and I pinned him to the ground, growling in his face. He now growled warily instead furiously. I store him in his eyes, letting him know that if he tried anything again I would rip him apart.

He struggled to get up and I bit down on his left shoulder, feeling my teeth sink all the way down to the bone.

He yelped and I let him up. He turned and ran to an open window, leaping out it gracefully and silently and disappearing into the night. My body, already being changed, wasn't willing to shift back. I trotted up to the window and pushed it closed with my paws and pulled the curtains closed with my teeth.

Then I managed to conjure up the strength to shift back into my human form and stumble out of my dad's room once I was sure I wasn't going to shift back.

Tanner was standing in the doorway, looking at me. "What the hell was all that noise?" he asked.

I smiled at him. "It was nothing. Let's go back to bed," I said and tried to grab his hand.

But he yanked it away and stepped back from me. "Not until you tell me what the hell was in there," he said. Panic, fear, and anger laced his voice and I felt horrible. "I know you're keeping something from me and I want to know what it is."

I hesitated. I wanted to tell him; I really did, but I couldn't... "I can't..." I whispered.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because you wouldn't understand... Hell, you wouldn't even believe me," I said, my voice slowly climbing to a shout.

"I wouldn't understand? Try me," he said. His voice was slowly getting to the same point too.

"I can't, Tanner! I just can't!" I yelled.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath and calmly said, "If you won't tell me, then I'll just leave."

Tears began to form in my eyes. I didn't want him to leave. I didn't want us to fight. I wanted to tell him everything and anything he wanted to know... But I just couldn't.

He nodded and I could see the disappointment in his eyes. "Alright," he said and turned to leave.

I just stood there and watched him walk away. I heard him grab his keys and his jacket and walk out the door, slamming it behind him.

A few seconds later I heard him start the car and drive away, leaving me alone in my silent house that only seemed to grow even more silent by the minute. The clock in the living room ticked away, oblivious to everything.

A tear rolled down my cheek and I turned and walked to the back door where I let the night turn me into what I was cursed to be. I ran to the forest, pushing myself as hard as I could. I ran through the fallen leaves on a path that I knew all too well.

I came to a stop when his house came into view. I walked to the edge of the trees and watched as his car pulled up. He turned off the engine, but didn't leave his car. Instead, he just sat there in the silence like I had when he left. I watched as his head fell into his hands and his shoulders shook. I hated seeing him cry. I wanted to run up to his car in my human form and apologize for everything. I wanted to fall into his arms and tell him everything... But instead I stood there and watched him cry.

He remained in his car for what felt like hours until something gave him the will to stop crying and get out.

I took half a step forward and then stopped, letting out a slight whimper. I want to tell him... I need to tell him... I thought to myself. I took a full step forward and stopped again.

I let out a heavy sigh, turned, and trotted back to my house, wondering what Monday would be like...