Chapter Twenty-Four: Stepping On People's Toes.

So my school had  a boat dance...a lot of Spanish music but it was lit whatever :)

Chapter Twenty Four: "Stepping On People's Toes."

"HEY SYDNEY," A voice called out just as I stopped my pirouettes. I mentally groaned, wishing that I had booked this room for private time.

I put my hands on my waist, taking deep breaths as I looked over at Isaac through the reflection of the mirrors. "Yeah?"

"How's your solo going?" It was going to a hell a lot better before you entered the room.

"Uh, it's fine." I said out loud, kind of wishing that I had the courage to say what my mind was thinking. "How about your duet with Matilda?"

The small smile on Isaac's face twitched a little. "Um...it's fine. We finished it today and Mrs. Yousiff liked it."

"That's great."

"Yeah." Just when he said that the door to the room opened and in came in Jane, red and green paint on the smudged on the side of her face and a paintbrush in her hand.

"Jane?" Isaac asked.

"Hi...Isaac-right-hi. Long time no talk. Anyway, Sydney I need you for a second. Not a second, I'm kidding, let's just go. Yeah...let's go."

I was partially confused by what she meant for a second when she grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the room. The small girl gave Isaac a half wave before shutting the door and dragging me down the busy hall. "W-Wait, where are we going?"

"Um...let's go to the major art room. That's upstairs. Lucas is there too."

I went along with what she was saying. I could've gone home by now anyway but I stayed overtime because I didn't want to go home. Not yet.

"So Sydney, how long have you known Lucas?"

My eyes flickered around the hallway. "It's October so since the second week since school started I guess. Almost two months."

"I see," she nodded before she stopped in the middle of an empty hallway, right before the doors that led to the staircase. "Can I just ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"You're not using Lucas, are you?"

I was taken aback. "What do you mean by using?"

"You know? He's the son of one of the richest people in the entire world. You're not using him for money? Or to get secret info on his father's company or something? Or for pity? I know Lucas doesn't have that many people he can call friends but he doesn't need someone who's just being his friend out of-"

"No, no, no, no, Jane. I'm definitely not using Lucas. I wouldn't and I never will." I defended. I was completely aware Lucas came from a wealthy family but sometimes with the way his family acted, I forgot that. Most of his family members didn't act like they had everything in the world.

Jane immediately stepped back, an apologetic look on her face. "I'm sorry. I just-Lucas is like a brother to me. I care about him and I'm making sure that no one is hurting him."

"I know." I understood why she was doing that.

"He keeps his circle small," Jane told me as she pushed through the doors and started walking up the stairs. "When he told me that he met some new girl...it was strange. He isn't the type to make a new friend that quickly. Or to even just give someone his phone number back."

"How long have you known him?" I already knew the answer but I wanted to know more from her.

"Since grade ten. It was weird moving from America. I mean some things were the same yet some things were different. Did you know they say that Canadians are way more polite then Americans? Based on my opinion...I'm going to have to agree because for the first time in my life two years ago I accidentally bumped into someone and they didn't give me a dirty look."