Chapter Seven: Turf War

I woke up and my muscles screamed at me in serious protest. Defensive training with Benjin was not something that was enjoyed by anyone. I had muscles sore in places I didn't know muscles existed. That was the reason I had decided to stay home. It was Sunday but I knew Frank and Duane would understand my absence.

That was why I was lying on my bed staring at my cracked and stained ceiling. It probably wasn't the best thing to be doing because the more I stared, the more I wondered about the stains and the images my head was supplying were both disturbing and mildly hilarious.

The sound of pounding feet were my only warning before my door was thrown open. Quinta barged into my room, pulling up short as she sniffed the air in one long drag, "Who's been in here?"

Her question took me by surprise, as it was the first thing out of her mouth, "Hello to you too." I mumbled sarcastically as I lifted an eyebrow as I reached over and pulled a sucker out of the top drawer of my nightstand, unwrapping it and popping it into my mouth. I needed the sweetness if I was to deal with her this early in the morning.

She sniffed a little more, and I watched her curiously, "Seriously, who was in here?"

I twirled my tongue around the sucker, enjoying the spark of artificial citrus on my tongue, "The usual crowd, you, me--all the girls. Why?" I sniffed at the air myself, I couldn't smell anything but my usual attic.

She gave me a look that said she didn't believe a word coming out of my mouth, "Because it smells nice in here. Really nice actually, but very male." She wiggled her eyebrows up and down at me, "Are you sneaking boys up to your room without saying anything? Not even to me? I'm very good at keeping secrets."

I rolled my eyes at her comment, "You're terrible at keeping secrets." I turned my back to her as I reached on the other side of my bed, grabbing a shitty romance book that one of the girls must have returned to me while I was out yesterday. I flung myself back onto my mattress, rolling over onto my back, "Maybe you're smelling Benjin on me. I was around him all day yesterday."

She nibbled on her lip for a moment, contemplating the thought before shrugging her shoulders, "Whatever, if you want to keep your boy toy to yourself I won't push it."

I rolled my eyes, before lifting the book and opening, "Awesome. Now, if you'll excuse me..." I motioned for her to leave with a wave of my hand, not caring to look in her direction and give her the impression that I wanted to have any more company. Today was my first day off in about two weeks and I was planning on not doing a damn thing.

"You're not going to that barbeque that couple invited you to? I thought you told them you were going to stop by?" The way she asked the question was as if she was pushing for a particular response.

I turned the page in my book, focusing on the words, "Nope. I don't really feel like it. They'll understand."

"But it such a nice day out it would be a shame to waste it inside this musty attic." I could hear some disappointment in her tone of voice, she was definitely pushing the topic. I let out a sigh of annoyance as I found myself reading the same sentence.

"I like the smell. It makes this place more authentic." I replied dryly.

"It's not like a little sun would kill you, Sutton..." She threw back at me as I rolled my sucker into my cheek, turning to the next page--though I wasn't really focused on the words anymore. I was simply trying to give her the impression that I didn't care for the topic, hoping that she would take the hint and leave me to myself.

"Well, we can't all be blessed with perfect complexions like you Quin..." I could tell she was pushing the topic for a reason, "And why do you suddenly care how I'm spending my day off?"