Chapter 22

Sitting in Henry’s old SUV was beyond awkward.

Henry thumped his fingers on the black steering wheel, humming to an old tune. I steadied my eyes on the gravel road in front of us while picking on the thread of the faded red seat covers. Ron sat quietly in the middle of Weston and Beau in the back seat.

“So,” Ron chuckled nervously. He looked ridiculously tiny adjacent to Beau and Weston. “You guys won’t attack us, right?”

 “I thought we’ve established that,” Beau snapped, obviously annoyed.

“Okay,” Ron squeaked, drawing in a shaky breath. “My mom would definitely ban me from hunting.”

“You’re thirty-one and you still live with your mother?” Weston asked, shaking his head. “And she still tells you what to do?”

“I love my mom,” Ron defended. “We watch Oprah together.” 

Approximately one hour earlier *

“Weston, please,” Henry’s voice pleaded with hurt. He ran his hand through his hair. “Do you have a Healer amongst you?” He then looked at all of us. “If any of you are Healers or know of any, please help my wife. She’s a werewolf and she’s been suffering an illness for over two years now. She will die soon.”

What the hell was going on?

Once the words fell out of his mouth, I glanced at Beau. He was staring at me with his eyebrows drawn together in confusion. There were a lot of questions I wanted to ask, but so little time to do so.

I’m beyond confused.

Hayley told me her parents were divorced. Was that one big lie? Was that her psychotic side speaking? If her mother were a werewolf, wouldn’t she be one too? Even if her father was a pure human, the offspring was bound to be a werewolf just as long as one of her parents carried werewolf blood.

Why did Henry possess such weapons if his wife was a werewolf? Wasn’t he afraid that she’d get hurt? Was that the reason she was ill? From being around wolfs bane so much? Wasn’t she angry with him for possessing those weapons?

Weston was wrong to make the decision without asking me first. I was fully aware he knew exactly what Henry was asking even before he brought it up today. Weston knew I was capable of healing a sickness just as long as it was a werewolf illness.

Illnesses such as cancer, HIV, and other diseases were incurable. Healers could only heal what illnesses were passed down in werewolves.

“No,” Weston said again, shaking his head furiously. “I will not put her in danger.”

“She’s your mate, isn’t she?” Henry asked after a few seconds of quite thinking. His eyes lit up while he dropped his gun fully. “Please, Weston, I’m begging you. You know what it’s like to have a mate – a soul mate. You know you’d hate to see her on the verge of dying.”

Henry’s voice cracked at the end while a frown fell upon his face. I could tell he was suppressing his tears and trying to keep his composure. However, the more he spoke about it, the more we knew he was breaking.

I couldn’t respond at first. It was too hard. I was too shocked to even speak a word. I could tell the others were just as confused as I was. It was silent in my head. I couldn’t hear their voices.

Henry looked at every one of us with pleading eyes. When his eyes rested on me for a fraction of a second, my heart stopped in my chest. Should I help him? Was he lying? What if he kills me after I’ve helped him? Would he? Does he dislike every werewolf besides his wife?