27th ☾ The Pieces They Left Behind

And if by morning you're finally here,

I'll hold your hand, my dear.

27th

The Pieces They Left Behind

There was dead noise that consumed the entirety of the room, until Henry broke into a vigorous laugh. "Did you know why I couldn't kill you, Cassandra Montforth?"

"I don't believe a word you say," I said, firmly.

Nevertheless, Henry went on, "It was because I was afraid that he already knew about this deal. This boy seemed to be fond of you. And that if I harm your life, he would threaten me."

"You liar!" I was profusely staring at Henry, refusing to believe anything that was coming out of his mouth.

"Now, shall I offer you a deal? How about I will let you two go to another land and live there, in exchange for that sword? Clave is trying to fix the spell for me. It's going to take time, but it could be done."

"You should have told me earlier, Your Majesty," Clave said.

Henry kept his gaze on me, waiting for my answer. "Do you agree with these conditions? Will you take your beloved with you and live a peaceful life outside Incantasi?"

"Never! We won't let you continue to take over this kingdom. The people are suffering. And why should I even believe you?" I asked, flabbergasted. There was no truth to what he said. He was lying. He ought to be lying.

Henry said, "My son and I—"

"He is not your son!" I corrected him, stepping out of Lancelot's shadow. Lancelot held back my arm, but I was unwilling to be hushed down. "He is Alec Forthwind, the rightful heir of Incantasi's throne."

"Look at this girl. She keeps on talking and insisting that she knows things, when, evidently, she doesn't even know half of what's really going on," Henry told Clave, who was standing at his right.

"Her strings of action are bound to end in suffering," Clave wistfully replied.

Henry nodded. "That is your problem, young one."

"I know what I want. I will make sure that I get it," I swore.

"Your eyes are set straight on to your goal, which is to kill me. Am I right?" Henry asked in clarification. His face became unreadable, lost in his own contemptuous mindset.

"And I will," I said in between clenched teeth.

"You are obsessed with the very thought of it," Henry said slowly, as he moved towards us.

"And what if it's true?" I tempted him.

"Then that, foolish girl, becomes your fall. You'll never be able to do it," Henry said with a devilish grin. He was coming closer. Even if he hadn't drawn out his sword yet, the way his hands and arms were restless and gripping with suppressed strength, it was difficult not to be alarmed.

"How so?" I asked. He must be playing with my head. As if to prove my point, I pointed the sword in his direction. "One more step and you're done. This is going to be the end for you."

Henry listlessly laughed. "Ah, the sword."

I smirked.

But Henry didn't seem to be fazed this time around. Instead of being fretful that I was now holding the sword, Henry appeared to be unconcerned about it. "I can't believe this. My, she really thinks that she could do it. Have you any of you forgotten that my Head Sorcerer is here with us?"