22nd ☾ Ember and Smoke

With words I whisper in your sleep, it goes untold,

I found the missing pieces of my heart in your footsteps as you go.

22nd

Ember and Smoke

"Are they looking for you?" Alec asked, alarmed.

"It's because of the seal." I was holding my breath before I'd realized it. My pounding heart went wild as the soldier's heavy marching feet got closer, together with the clinking and clattering of the horses' hooves. It had ensued fright on the once peaceful forest that had unfolded with the morning light, as the birds scattered away and the animals sought shelter.

"You're the first person I've met who also possess the seal," Alec told me, guarded. His eyes were also drawn to where the marching noise was coming from.

But even if the situation had turned to this, I couldn't help but feel relieved with what he'd said. Keenly, I asked, "So you do have it?"

He slowly nodded his head, turning sideways to face me. "Since I was young."

"Thank goodness." Relief flooded over me. I almost gave up, shooting blindly in the dark. And then here it was—I finally found the former prince of Incantasi.

"She's here! Let's split up. You, go back to the inn and report to me if anyone had seen here," a soldier's voice echoed across the woods.

I took a deep breath, muttering, "I must leave."

"Why do you have it?" Alec asked me in an equally hushed voice, as we stepped away from the clearing and proceeded deeper into the forest.

"I can't explain it now," I told him. "They're coming for me. Can you meet me tonight instead?"

"Where?"

"There's a small shack located in the forest east of the town plaza. You would see a dried up well beside it. Meet me there tonight. You have to come, Alec. For Incantasi," I convinced him.

"Can't you tell me about it now?"

"I don't have enough time. If the seal's been a question to you all your life, come to the shack and I will tell you. I have to go now. They can't find me here." I looked around, wondering how much time was left for me to escape.

"Are you sure that it's not just a coincidence?" Alec was still oblivious that such an army was here for me.

I shook my head, saying, "Tell me you will go."

He considered this.

"It's important for you to be there, Alec," I urged him.

After a moment, he finally agreed, "Alright, I'll come."

The skies above us suddenly turned dark. When I looked up, I saw that a flock of crows was circling over the trees, and their piercing cries drowned the soldier's footsteps. It was very odd, because the once blue skies of noontime scattered over the horizon a few hours ago was also blemished with streaks of dark clouds.

And then I realized that it was finally starting. The books said that unusual things happened when the two crescent moons were bound to appear. The sorcerers said that it was mostly because their spells were waning and that paved way for the darkness to meddle with the world of the living.

"I wonder what's going on," Alec mumbled.

"The night of the crescent moons," I explained to him. It was the same night our seals were bound to become one. "It's going to happen tonight."