8th ☾ In the Arms of the Enemy's Son

Like the thief in the night, I fell in love you,

Without any warning, nor any clue.

8th

In the Arms of the Enemy's Son

"Let me go!" I shouted, as I was trying to get out of the rope that tied my hands and feet. Again. Unfortunately, this time around, all the blades and sharp rocks were out of my reach. But out of courtesy for the long night ahead, he had tied me up in a sitting position.

"So that you could finally kill me?" The blonde prince was now amused with me.

I sharply exhaled. "If I could, maybe."

"You would finally kill me?"

"Would you believe me instead if I said that it was a joke?"

"That you tried to kill me? I didn't think so. I underestimated you. Who sent you here?" he asked, curious.

"Nobody."

He didn't believe it.

"The ocean?"

With a disbelieving look, he scoffed, "Was that supposed to be funny?"

"Think about it. Who would have thought I'd get swayed to your private island? Was I unconscious when I got drifted here? Yes," I pointed out to him. He was apprehensive, but he gave it a careful thought.

Disregarding my attempt to cover up for my earlier mistake, he told me, "I can't trust anyone who once tried to kill me. It's common knowledge."

"If it makes you feel any safer, why don't you just kill me then?" I proposed, trying not to sound as annoyed as I was after being caught up in this position. Nobody knew that I was here, and help was far from sight.

"I don't just kill anyone, even if it so happened that they wanted to do that same thing with me."

"Ha," I scoffed.

He glanced at me with a frown. "I'd been meaning to ask you. Why are you dressed up like that?"

He made it sound like an accusation instead of a question. I replied, "No reason that should concern you."

"Have you committed a crime and you're hiding from the authorities?"

I stared back, unnerving. "Surely, none that I know of. Look, just because I'm a girl doesn't necessarily means I have to dress like all the other or act like them. There's no such law."

"But a girl who knows how to use weapons?"

"Still a girl nonetheless."

"Why did you attack me?" the question backfired right away.

"I told you—reasons," I explained, as if it wasn't a big deal that I had tried to take his life a while ago.

"Which are?" He stood up, walking in circles around me. Bryce would be glad to know that the prince of the kingdom was not as weak as we had thought him to be. Just because we hadn't heard of him killing anyone didn't mean that he couldn't. I saw restraint in his eyes. Discipline. He was different that way.

Well, Bryce would only gain this information if I would make it out of here alive. The chances were pretty slim. Of all the wrong people to be with, I landed right beside the prince of the kingdom—one step away from the tyrant, my enemy. The same man who was looking for me and wanted me dead more than anyone else.