2nd ☾ The Damsel's Tears

I cry with no words, smile without tears,

But my eyes would always know fear.

2nd

The Damsel's Tears

I was awakened by the hard pounding on our front door. I was about to go back to sleep, when I heard some unusual sounds coming from downstairs—loud chatters. I hurriedly got up and slipped my feet into my slippers, wondering what was going on.

Putting on some gloves when I realized that I hadn't imagined the seal on my hand last night, I went downstairs to see who our guests were. It wasn't unusual to have guests in our house. What was odd was that they came when the sun was barely out there in the sky. We usually had them at late afternoon.

As I was halfway through the stairs, I saw my father talking to some soldiers. Fear resounded in my thoughts, but I told myself not to think ahead of things. My mother stood behind Father, and her beautiful face was covered with worries.

There were five armored men standing outside our door. They had red marks on their armor, and I knew right then that they were the king's guards.

"I came here upon the king's royal order. After a long search, we'd finally found your new house, sir. We heard that you have a child who turned twelve today. We came here to see her," said one of the soldiers.

"And by what order is that?" my father doubtfully asked.

"It is the king's verdict that every girl who turned twelve from the day of Your Majesty's designation, whose father is a duke, will be held for investigation," the soldier tightly replied, as he handed a folded scroll to my father.

My father took the scroll from the guard and opened it. Disapproval was painted on his stern face as he read what was written on it. He gave it back to the soldier, steadfastly saying, "My daughter is fourteen. She is not twelve. I'm not showing her to you, because she is not whom you're looking for. You can take your leave now."

How did they find us here? How did they know? Why would they want to see me? What threat did we possess that we should be held for investigation? A girl so ordinary, who had no power, no treasure of her own, and nothing the king should fear of. I had known that the king's reputation was not good. But why would he make an absurd order like that?

I clenched my right hand in worry. There was a seal in it, and I was more than aware of its presence. Coincidences, Ira called it. It happened when two things that normally wouldn't meet suddenly crossed paths. I hoped that this was one of those, and the king's soldiers weren't here because of the presence of the seal.

After a moment, I heard the king's soldier speak again. This time, his voice was sterner. "It is stated that if anyone will go against the king's order, we have no choice but to eliminate them."

My father, despite the threat, did not move an inch from where he was standing. Instead, he firmly blocked the door. My mother looked very worried as she stood behind him. As much as my mind was confused with everything that was happening, when I saw the soldier pull his sword from its sheath, without a second thought, I hurried down to my father's side. They all stared at me as I made noises while coming downstairs.

My parents protected me from when I was young. They did everything and left the comfortable life they used to have. All for me.

I didn't know if a child should repay her parents like this, by putting her life on the line. But I knew it was what I should do. When I was twelve, I realized that love could mean sacrifice. That there was a love willing to trade one's life for.