Promise (Steve Rogers x reader)

You were pacing back and forth, wringing your hands. It was the first mission your younger brother was going on without you and you were nervous. The team didn't need you this time, so you were staying behind. "You okay, Doll?" You nodded and wrapped your arms around your boyfriend. "Steve...I'm worried," you admitted. He looked at you, his blue eyes full of concern. "He'll be fine, Y/N. After all, he takes after you." You chuckled dryly at Steve's attempt to make you feel better.

"Promise me you won't let anything happen to him, Steve," you whispered pulling him closer. "I promise, Y/N. I will look after him the best I can. He will make it back." You snuggled deeper into his chest, trying not to cry. He gave you one last peck on the cheek. "I have to go, but I'll be back soon...with your brother." You thanked him and watched as he jogged away to prep for the mission.

*time skip*

Four days...the team had been gone for four days. You were stuck at the Tower with Vision and Bucky, doing everything you could not to chew your fingernails. "If something had happened, we would have heard by now," Bucky tried to reassure you for the twelfth time in the past day. "I KNOW!" you shouted before looking at Bucky's dejected face. "I know. I'm sorry, Bucky. They were supposed to be back two days ago. What if something happened to them?"

Bucky didn't get the chance to answer as F.R.I.D.A.Y spoke up, "Agent Y/L/N, Captain Rogers and the others are returning in approximately ten minutes." You threw your arms around Bucky, cheering gleefully. "They're home!" Bucky laughed at you and you went sprinting to meet the team. You were so relieved that Steve and your brother were coming home.

Yousaw your brother first. "Y/N!" he called out, running up to you. Hepulled you into a hug. Over his shoulder, you saw someone being carried in on astretcher. "Steve? What happened to Steve?" Your brother looked downat his shoes. "He's gonna be ok, but he took a beating for me. Pushed meout of the way when it looked like I was going down." You shook your head.Steve had taken your promise far too literally. You rushed to his side as theytook him to the infirmary. "Hey, Doll," his voice was weak."Steven, what did you do?" He smiled up at you and chuckled."Kept my promise." You leaned down and pressed your lips to hisbruised ones softly.