Chapter 13

Even Angels Fall ~ Chapter 13

I teased the last portion of hair from the curling wand, letting it bob back into place with the rest of the loose ringlets now framing my face. Flicking off the switch, I unhooked the plug from the power-point, leaving the curler to cool down before I put it away. I studied myself in the mirror, going over my appearance once more. The wide curls complemented the bold colour I’d added to my face. The light dusting of blush on my cheeks made my cheekbones all the more prominent complementing the bright red lipstick and thick lashes.

The black dress dipped low from behind, exposing my entire back and ending just before it reached my bottom. The silky material clung to my figure, plunging down near my bosom to reveal the slight hints of red lace garments beneath and the dangling shards of the piercing in my navel. I nodded in approval, slipping my phone into my clutch and tossing onto the bed. “Time to find some shoes,” I huffed, turning to the stack of boxes by the window.

I was yet to finish putting away all my things from my apartment into the room Harry had cleared for me and the boxes stacked on top of each other would take forever to clear out. I sighed tugging at the folds of a box peeping out from under a rather threatening stack of them.

Nope, those are the books.

I lightly placed one of my feet on the upturned end of a box, praying that whatever was in it would stop it from caving in and sending me spiraling to the ground. The cardboard squeaked against the strapping of tape sealing it but held firm. My other leg dangled in the air as I reached for one of the higher boxes, positive that it held my stack of shoes. My fingers could only just skim the side and my leg began to wobble slightly.

I sucked in a deep breath, bracing my other leg on the door of the built-in cupboard. Craning my arm as far as it would go I began to manage to shift the box slightly with my fingers, every slight tug making me wobble further.

“Rose?” My head snapped to the side at the voice and I could feel my legs fall out from under me. I tucked me arms over my head to shield me from the mountain of boxes that began to topple as my legs hit them. Before I could collapse to the floor and probably sprain an ankle, dislocate my shoulder or maybe even give myself a concussion on the edge of the desk a pair of arms scooped me from the air.

I curled into his chest my face still scrunched up ready for the pain that would have accompanied the impact. “Rose?” He asked again. I popped open an eye, staring up at the curly-haired boy with worry evident on his face.

“Oh. Hey there, Harry.” I laughed nervously, peering over his large arms at the chaotic mess of random things and boxes sprawled a few feet away.

“What were you thinking?” He asked, placing me gently back onto my feet. I rubbed the back of my neck with my hand, my eyes catching hold of the bright red heels I was seeking.

 “There they are!” I nearly screamed, scrambling over the mess to snatch the stilettos from under a pile of books. “I was just looking for my shoes.” I peered up at him innocently as I slipped the red shoes on.

I seriously felt like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz with these babies on. Except my red shoes didn’t sparkle and they have a killer pair of heels that would’ve sent poor old Dorothy stumbling into a rabbit hole to join Alice. God, I’m not even drunk yet and look at me. I shook my head, peering up at him as he ran a hand through his mussed curls.

I watched him as his eyes travelled up my body, slowly taking in my revealing dress. He took a slow step towards me and I found myself backing up against the cupboard. Within seconds his body towered over mine, his finger playing with the dangling shards of my belly ring. “Where are you going?” He murmured, trailing his fingers up the outline of the plummeting front.

“Tori invited me to a party at his place.” I watch as his fingers halt their movements and his eyes meet mine.  “You can’t go there.” Harry says softly.

“Why not?” I ask, a frown taking over my features.

“You-you just can’t!”

“I can go wherever I want to go.” I step out from under him, moving several feet away.  

“I won’t let you.” He rounds on me.

“Excuse me?” I retort, cocking an eyebrow at him.

“You heard me, I won’t let you leave.”

“Don’t think just because I agreed to live here with you it means you have some sort of claim over me.” I cross my arms as I watch him stand in front of the door.

“He isn’t what you think he is.” He snaps at me, running a hand through his hair. A gesture I know too well he does when he’s irritated.

“Who? Tori?” I question, resting one of my hands on my hip. “You don’t even know him, Harry.”

“I know him well enough. I’ve seen guys like him Rose, they’re not good.”

“I think I will decide that for myself.” I growl, a scowl deepening the features on my face. The tension is so thick in the air its practically choking us.  

“You can’t go there Rose!” He yells, slamming his fist against the door.

“I can go wherever I want, Harry! There is nothing going on between us, stop acting like you get to make decisions for me because you don’t. I’ve already called Carissa; she’ll be picking me up.” As if on cue, a horn sounded from the driveway and I glance outside the window to see the beautiful Italian girl’s head waving at me from the driver’s window.

“Fine,” He huffs, “I’m coming with you.”

I glare at him as if he’s just grown two heads. “No, you’re not. You weren’t invited.” He ignores my words, peeling off his shirt and moving off to his room. I can hear the sounds of his cupboards opening as he obviously fetches a change of clothes.

I take that as my chance, taking my clutch off the bed and hurrying down the stairs. I manage not to break my neck trying to clamber down the stairs in these heels and by the time I throw myself into the car next to Carissa I’m out of breathe. “Woah, easy there.” She laughs, taking in my frantic state.

“Drive.” I command, pulling my seatbelt over my chest.

“What’s the rush?” She chuckles, clearly unaware of my need to get out of this driveway before Harry– I slap my palm to my forehead as he bounds down the front steps, running towards Carissa’s car.

“Carissa, drive!” I practically yell and she looks between me and the bounding boy and fumbles with the gears. Her foot steps down on the accelerator just as Harry reaches our car. We aren’t fast enough it seems as he already managed to pull open the back door and lunge into the backseat. I groan, slouching down into my seat. “Fucking oath,” I curse under my breath and the girl in the front seat stares at me warily.

“Can I please know what’s going on?” She asks me, as if Harry didn’t just jump into the back of her moving car.

“That twat over there,” I jerk my thumb back at Harry as I talk, “thinks he has some moronic claim over me and that he can somehow make decisions for me just because I moved in with him.”

“It’s not because you moved in with me.” He retorts and I ignore him.

“And now he wants to come to this party, uninvited, so he can ‘protect’ me from Tori because he ‘isn’t what I think he is!’”  Carissa laughs as I slump back down into my seat. I all but rage at her and she has the nerve to laugh right now.

“I should hate you since you’re insulting my cousin,” she tells Harry, “but I admire your protectiveness over her.” I scowl at her naivety of the situation and Harry grins like the sneaky Cheshire cat he is. “Get out of the car, Harry.” I groan, still not believing she was siding with him.

“Nope,” I can all but hear the smirk in his voice as Carissa reverses out of his driveway. “Please Carissa, get him out of here!” She laughs at me and shakes her head, pulling out onto the road and taking a sharp left.

“You’ll thank me later.” She chuckles.

For some reason I highly doubt that.