Chapter 15

Adam flinched awake when he heard a thump, and he sat up, his heart beating wildly in his chest. He immediately ducked under the covers as the door to his room opened, and he trembled, squeezing his eyes shut as he forced himself to stay calm and deathly still. He could hear and feel the soft tremors of a giant approaching, then they stopped. He felt the covers be slowly moved, and he shivered and looked up as he was revealed to the chilly air.

"Adam?" Adam went limp in relief. It was just Ty. "Why are you hiding under the covers?" Ty asked, crouching down to be eye level with the tiny human. Adam sat up and blinked at the blood red eyes, which were reflecting the faint moonlight and giving the giant a rather haunting look.

"I-I thought someone w-was breaking in," he whimpered. Those blood red eyes softened in sympathy, and Ty rested his chin on the edge of the bed.

"Oh... Oh, no, it's ok-- it's perfectly fine Adam," Ty soothed, continuing by explaining sheepishly, "That was just me being a klutz, I uh, I may have ran into Harvey's lamp and KO'ed it." That made Adam giggle and relax, relieved. Ty grinned sheepishly, glad that Adam was calmed back down. "Well don't worry buddy, no lamps will bother you," he joked, making Adam giggle again as the giant stroked his back. Adam closed his eyes and leaned into the petting a little, finding it rather soothing.

"Ty?" Ty turned to see a sleepy Harvey standing at the doorway, rubbing his eyes tiredly. "What are you doing up?" He yawned. "And why is my lamp on the floor?" Adam had to stifle a snicker as he climbed onto the back of Ty's hand.

"Oh... Um... Don't worry about that," was all the auburn-haired brunette replied with. "I was just trying to check on Adam." Adam smiled and hugged Ty's wrist, snuggling the giant in the best way he could by nuzzling the warm surface. Ty purred and looked back down at him, lifting his hand up and snuggling the fragile human to his chest as Harvey came over and sat down at the other end of the bed.

"Just go back to sleep Adam," Ty cooed softly, holding the human close. "We won't let anything happen to you." Adam lifted his head up.

"Promise?" He squeaked, even though he already knew that he could depend on them. Ty smiled knowingly and nodded, leaning over the human and gently nuzzling him.

"I promise," he breathed. "Now just close your eyes Adam... Just relax..." Adam yawned and laid back in Ty's arms, his eyelids drooping before his body complied to his best friend's soothing words, and he slipped into sleep.

For days Adam was alone, left in the place that Mitch had called home, stuck in the tattered poor excuse of a bed. He had gathered enough strength to salvage some stale bread from a hidden nook next to his bed, which allowed him to keep his strength a little longer. It was on the fourth day that the bird hybrid finally returned, his sudden presence alerting Adam with the now-familiar swish of feathers.

Mitch entered the hollow, and Adam weakly stirred.

"Where have you been?" He croaked. "I've been here for days... I managed to find that stale slice of bread... But I'm starving, and so thirsty..." Mitch crouched down at Adam's eye level and stared at him closely, his own eyes narrowing as he gazed deeply into the human's eyes.

"... You really are human," Mitch breathed finally, sitting back. "Most hybrids would have complied to the instinct that stirs inside of us all, and you would have ignored my warning to stay in the hollow. Instead, you stayed here, and while that might be because of what you've gone through..." Mitch got up and started pacing. "And even if you had left, it would have been to just find food or water, and you would have used your hybrid half, and even a bird hybrid like me would have been able to smell it." Adam slowly blinked.