Chapter 12

Adam was curled up in the bottom of the cage, his hands clamped over his ears and his eyes squeezed shut. Tears were trailing down his cheeks as he heard his friends crying out to one another, trying to escape the pursuing giant. It was torture.

For hours, he lay in the small portable cage he had been dropped in, growing stiff in the compact space, his legs pressing against one side of the mesh with his back pressed against the other side. He was getting cold, and he had tried pulling the mesh apart to escape-- but the metal just wouldn't bend.

He felt quiet vibrations in the ground, and he slowly looked up to see the giant's tall figure as the beast returned. He noticed with horror how there was a little blood stained on his chin, and he shuddered, curling up more tightly.

"Good news little pet." Adam gasped as his cage was lifted up, the ground shrinking away as he was lifted up a good twenty feet. "You're officially mine. No silly little pests are gonna try to bust you out," the giant smirked. Adam sobbed quietly in realization as the giant started walking, and the heartbroken male tucked his chin to his chest, shaking with inward sobs as he grieved. He sniffled and hugged his knees to his chest, roughly sliding back and forth a little from the rough sways of the giant's footsteps, dreading the worst-- what had happened to his friends...

And what his fate would be.

Ty was leaning against the door, ear pressed against the smooth painted wood as he listened in.

"... I can't hear anything," Jason hissed, crowding behind him. Ian scowled, at Ty's side, also eavesdropping.

"Good news-- neither can I," he grunted.

"Shh!" Ty pulled back just as Harvey opened the door-- Ian not as fortunate.

"Did you guys catch all of that?" He said quietly as Ian sat up from his faceplant, rubbing the back of his neck in irritation with a Jordan Maron pout. Ty quickly got up, staring distantly at his old pal.

"... I... I can't believe it," he finally murmured, tears pricking the corners of his eyed. "What he's been through... And he hasn't even told us everything..." He waded in sympathy for his fragile human friend, then blinked away the tears and cleared his throat. "Where is he?" Harvey looked back at the bed and nodded at it.

"He's finally fallen asleep." Ty scooted past him and slowly approached the human's resting place, seeing Adam curled up on the pillow and sound asleep, looking so peaceful and innocent... So fragile...

Ty dared to reach out and fondle his hair, resulting in a small squirm of protest in Adam's sleep. He smiled softly and gently scooped up the sleepy little creature and cradled him to his chest, a wave of affection hitting him as he carried Adam to the others. Ian glanced at his watch, then whistled quietly.

"It's high time we left and turned in for the night," he announced, exiting the hallway and heading for the front door. Jason followed after, and Ty glanced down at Adam before looking over at Harvey. Harvey nodded.

"Bring him back again," he murmured. "And we can find out more." Ty dipped his head in gratitude, mumbling an awkward "Thanks Set," before following his two other friends.

"So what now?" Jason asked as Ty caught up and shut the door behind them.

"Now? ... We take care of Adam, just like we were originally going to," Ty shrugged, snuggling the human's limp body closely against his chest.

"Well- yeah, I know." Jason scampered after Ty, Ian remaining in the front. "But what about Martin? What if he comes back? What if he tries to take Adam back?"