Chapter 10

Just before Jason's hand could contact Adam, the giant was suddenly jerked away, and Adam gasped out in relief, going limp against the wall. There was a commotion, thumps and other defeaning signs of struggles, then finally everything went silent. Adam went tense again, suddenly afraid once more. Did they knock Jason out? Was Ty ok? Did he and Ian get him under control?

Everything was so surprisingly quiet, before suddenly one of the giant's faces were visible in the crack between the bookshelf and the wall, making Adam jump in fright with a small inward gasp before recognizing that the owner of these blue eyes was different.

"He's ok," Ian murmured, looking up to the side. He shuffled back, and Adam felt warmth in his chest when Ty peered into the vulnerable hiding place.

"Adam? Are you hurt?" He fretted. Adam swallowed and shook his head mutely, his heart still beating rapidly in his chest. He knew both of the gentle giants could smell his fear, but he was too scared to really care. A hand worked its way through the narrow slot, and Adam let out a yip, cowering down as his fear and adrenaline rushed through him again. The hand paused, then slowly withdrew, and Adam shivered, hugging himself tightly.

"He's traumatized," Adam heard Ian say distantly. "I think he needs medical care."

"But-but he said he's not hurt."

"No, not my kind of medical care-- I mean the entire package of what's happened. First Martin, now Jason-"

"M-M-Martin?" Adam managed to stutter out. "Wh-what about him?" There was a pause, then Ty slowly moved his head to gaze at Adam with a defeated look.

"I... I shouldn't say, not in your condition-"

"No." Adam gripped his amulet tightly, squeezing his eyes shut. "I have a right, I ha-ve a right to know!" He shouted, his voice cracking with a sob in his throat.

"... Adam..." Adam sniffled and looked up, his eyes stinging from tears treating to pour. "M... I told you how he's become uh... Bloodthirsty... Right?" Adam nodded, continuing to tremble. "Well... You saw how different Jason was in his craze. He only has half of the gene that fully makes a giant a giant, the craving for human flesh. Incomplete dominance or some sh*t like that, but it got set off by you running away from me after I "threatened" you. Anyways... A-Adam..." Adam blinked and tilted his head, waiting for what Ty was trying to say. "... It wasn't just... Any giant... That killed your family..." Adam grew still, his adrenaline-pumped mind whirling. Was Ty trying to say...?

"Martin killed your family. He's the one that murdered them, and he's the one that captured you, tortured you, teased you... And in the end... Tried to eat you." Adam felt numb at this, painful memories suddenly rushing back in flashes. His wife's face full of fear, his child's plaintive cries, wolves howling in the distance. Then a shadow, huge and monstrous, glowing orange eyes, sharp screams of terror, running, a massive hand threatening to end him, sharp teeth, wails of pain, more pain, metal, survival, broken, mice, fighting for his life...

Adam let out a strangled wail of denial, slumping against the floor and breaking apart into a heap of sobs. Ty and Ian gave each other glances, then Ian slowly reached through the crevice for Adam. Adam didn't even register the giant as he was gently picked up, crying and in a tight little ball as Ian carefully lifted the human out.

"We need to take him to... To "him", Ty," Ian murmured. Ty stared at his tiny friend, spirit broken and looking so fragile and helpless in the doctor's palm.

"I-I know," he replied meekly. "But... There's a reason that Adam avoided him all this time, even before the giant apocalypse." He paused and facepalmed at his unintentional pun while Ian took over.