.13

I spent two days in a jail cell. They called my mother, who was on a research trip in Morocco, and she had to fly home just to get me out. Frank didn't seem to care much that his only son had been arrested, which makes me resent him a bit more than I already do. But staying in the cell didn't get to me, the stark disappointment in my mother's eye was what got to me. Her light green eyes were tired as she gazed at me through the bars, all I could do was hang my head in shame.

Now here I am, sitting on the couch of my mother's apartment with my hands between my knees. She's pacing back and forth across the room with her hands in her hair, I know where I get it from now. Occasionally she would shoot me a glance, her eyes piercing right through me. I hate disappointing my mother, because then she becomes sad and when she becomes said she doesn't talk to me; I love talking to my mommy.

"Kieran, what were you even doing to get arrested," she inquires, still pacing the floor.

"Speeding," I tell her, and add more quietly, "because I was high."

Her head whips in my direction so fast, I wince in pain for her. She squints her eyes in a way that is scary yet slightly amusing. Taking a step toward me, I sit back as she looks me in the eyes and tilts her head to the left. I am my mother's child.

"What did I tell, Anthony," I flinch at the use of my middle name, I'm in trouble now for real.

"Mommy, I'm sorry," I whisper, putting my head down.

"Do you realise you could have hurt someone, or worse yourself! Do you think I want to bury my son? What were you thinking?"

Jackson didn't give her any of my messages, that tight assed little shit. I called her at the the end of every week to let her know what's going on in my life, but I had to leave a message with her assistance because she was usually out working when I called. The one thing I hate about my mother being abroad is that I can contact her when I want, she's always off trying to find new vaccines for things. She makes me proud with what she does, but I wish I could spend more time with her.

"I met a girl," I sigh quietly.

She raises her eyebrow, giving me her "I'm listening" face and sits down in the semi-spherical chair across from me. Rubbing my hands on my jeans, my palms had started to sweat at the thought of telling her everything, I brace myself for what's about to happen. I stall a bit longer as I let a breath out from deep within my chest. My mother's eyes hold impatience in them, and I just get right to it.

From beginning to end, I tell her everything that has happened between Lisanna and I. She smiled in the beginning, laughed about a few things, and ultimately ended with a deep frown. Sitting back in her chair, mother crosses her legs as she folds her hands together in thought. There is a silence between us, and I run my hand through my hair a few times to try to ease the building anxiety of what she has to say. Her eyes give no clue as to what she's thinking as her face is also a smooth deadpan.

My phone buzzes beside me, but I ignore it as she sits up and rests her elbows on her knees. I wait for her to speak, but she doesn't, she just stares at me intently. Casting my eyes downward, I avoid her gaze and look at my feet.

"You just gave her up," she says finally, but it is more of a statement than a question.

"What was I supposed to do," I beseech, opening up my hands in a pleading manner.

A small smile spreads on her face, and I feel as if I'm looking in a mirror.

"You fight for her, fight for what you love."

$ $ $ $ $

Cupcake: Happy would be 2 month Anniversary!

Is she taunting me, is she really serious about this text? Should I even respond to this, because I'm honestly feeling so attacked right now. We haven't spoken since that day in the bakery, but now she texts me with this? Against my better judgment, I text her back anyway.