34. Anger, Care, & Possibly Love

Kelsey’s POV:

“I honestly didn’t think you’d come.”

I looked up at Logan, who sat on the hospital bed. He had a white cloth wrapped around his head, making it seem like he only had a head injury. Though all of his injuries were internal, Logan had some trouble sitting up by himself, and he needed to be propped up against pillows. He had to stay at the hospital for a couple of days until his results came in and he was properly healed.

When I first saw him, I visibly flinched. No one wants to see their best friend laying in a hospital bed all wrapped up and having IV needles stuck in them. I had gotten in early this morning, and I was yet to fall asleep. I had taken a nap on the plane, which only lasted for about half an hour. I was too worried about Logan’s health, so I couldn’t keep my eyes shut for more than thirty minutes.

“Of course I’d come,” I reply, sitting up in the uncomfortable plastic chair. “You’re in the hospital, Logan. It was a no-brainer.”

Logan gave a single nod. “Look, Kelsey, I’m really so-”

“Don’t, Logan,” I cut him off with a small smile. “Don’t worry about it. We’ll talk about it all later.”

He nodded as he bit his bottom lip, I and stood up. “I’m gonna go to the bathroom,” I say as I head out the room door.

As I walk down the white hallway towards the bathroom, my phone started buzzing, and I took it out to see that Harry was calling me. Shit, I mentally cursed. I didn’t even tell him about my spontaneous move on flying down to Miami, so I could only hope that he wouldn’t be angry with me. 

Approaching the bathroom, I opened the ladies’ room door and stepped inside, locking it behind me. “Hey, Harry,” I say as the door clicks.

“You know what I hate?” Harry asks as soon as I was finished greeting him.

I stopped in the middle of the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror as I stood there, holding the phone by my ear in both confusion and nervousness. “Uh, what?” I ask, trying to sound a little bit confused.

          “How I have to find out online that my own wife is in Miami, when she herself didn’t even tell me.” He sounded angry, I could tell you that much. Knowing Harry, he was trying to control himself before blowing up. He had a very short temper, so I always had to be careful about not tipping him a bit too over the edge.

“I was going to tell you,” I begin weakly, but get cut off.

“Oh, yeah? When? When you were back in London?” His voice was a tad bit venomous, which scared me.

I run a hand through my hair as my grip on my phone tightens. “Harry, Logan’s in the hospital, okay? He got a really bad football injury and I had to visit him. He’s my best friend, after all,” I try to reason with him.

“I know he is, Kelsey,” Harry releases a small sigh. “I just wish you’d stop hiding these things from me. You don’t realize how I feel when I have to find out that you’ve been mobbed by paparazzi or fans or that you’re in Miami when the last time  I spoke to you, you were in London online,” he explains to me. “You’re hiding important details from me, and I just wish you’d stop. I thought that by now you’d be able to trust me enough to let me know what you’re doing and what happens to you. But I guess not.”

As he spoke each word, it felt like a punch to the gut. Harry’s own voice sounded a bit weak and defeated, and it made me feel extremely guilty. Having Harry be upset with you is like kicking a puppy; they’re always so nice to you and are loving, but then you suddenly kick them and they’ll be confused to as why you did that, when all they’ve been doing is trying their best to keep you happy. Harry was the sweetest guy I have ever met in my life, and I hated that I had hurt him.