Rainfall Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Sabriel’s POV

My parents were still on that business trip and I hadn’t seen them for a week or so. They were very sorry for leaving me alone after just getting out of the hospital but that’s how they were. That’s why I always spent so much time in dreamland. The cars were gone so there was only person I could call to get a ride to school. I sighed, slowly hitting the speed dial that had been set so long ago.

“Hello?” Steven said.

“Hey I need a ride.”

“Who is this?”

“Sabriel who else.”

“Oh sorry, I got a new phone so my contacts are all screwed up. I’ll be there in a minute.”

 He hung up. I looked outside through the window. Again it was pouring rain, this town always had awful weather during spring. Why didn’t I get out of the coma when the weather was nice? I heard a honk outside. Today would be crazier than yesterday. Everyone now knew Sabriel Arrington was back and would be asking questions about my long term disappearance. My savior, Cal hadn’t been there yesterday and I was worried about his whereabouts. He hadn’t known about the break up and I needed to tell him I learned my lesson. I wrenched open the door to face the day.

On the road…

“You want me to be your bodyguard today?”

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea. I don’t want anyone to think we’re together. Half the girls there hate me cuz I ‘hogged’ you too long and the other half think they have no chance. I just want to know, why did you choose me?”

He was quiet for a while and it was really starting to push my patience.

“Come on Steven, why bother with me? Was I just some toy to you?”

“No of course not, it’s just the first time I saw you I knew you needed help then I realized what a sweet person you were, you weren’t fake like most girls. I didn’t want to hurt you, it was a spark of the moment.”

“Oh…”

“Listen you don’t know how much I regret hurting you, I’m really sorry I put you through that. Can you forgive me?” He shifted his gaze off the road for a couple seconds.

“I don’t know…Steven.” He started to turn the car and it skidded on the curve, he tried to control it but the slick conditions made it challenging. The front end of the car drove right into the ditch. My body jolted forward as the air bag went off. Glass flew everywhere, showering me. Shards grazed my skin, warm liquid started to drip down my face, making me dizzy. The car was completely upside down.

“Sabriel you ok?” Steven asked.

“I-I think so.” I managed to say. I watched him unbuckle his seatbelt then mine. I used my hands to stop myself from hitting the car ceiling. I tried to pull my legs down but a large piece of twisted shrapnel held me in like a rollercoaster lap bar. I struggled to pull myself free but I couldn’t.

“I can’t move, Steven.” Then I smelled burning gasoline.

“I’m gonna get you out of here, don’t panic.” He tugged at the metal but it didn’t budge.

“Watch out.” He warned, kicking the passenger side door open. More gasoline dripped in, smoke filled my lungs and I coughed, choking from the lack of oxygen. “Shit.” He muttered and then pushed his legs against the metal urging it to move. I heard a loud screech and crack. The shrapnel fell downward, me with it, the sharp metal cutting my thighs and palms. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me out of the car. He steadied me as he pulled me to the side of the road.