Rainfall Chapter 8

Chapter 8  Zane’s POV

Zane’s POV

I yawned, waking up in my new room. I glanced around, observing my surroundings. The walls were painted a bright blue, clouds and vivid colored birds flying thru the air. I lied in a cot, filled with pillows and realized there were only three walls to the room. The missing one led to a huge atrium, the floor below me was simply stone and water. A step stone path trailed through the water to a larger circular stone. A folded note with my name intrigued me, a pebble held it on the stone floor.  I read it thoroughly.

‘Dear Zane,

Last night Sabriel went back to the real world, she came back very upset and refuses to talk to me. I have left with her to get her back to her regular self. Crystal is in the woods, adjacent to your room. Please don’t do anything stupid. –Azurite’

I groaned and looked longingly at the water ridden woods. I missed Crystal and my body ached to see her but I wouldn’t and it was possible I wouldn’t for a long time. I sighed, letting my wings spread and flew over the tropical lush forest. I searched restless for Crystal’s blue crystallized form but the sunlight never reflected it. I landed at the center but there was no trace of her within the area. “I don’t understand, I thought she would be.” The old weathered grey stone was a large centerpiece that seemed to irrigate the water into all different directions of the woods. I circled around the stone platform, exploring many paths before accepting defeat. Again, I sighed settling on the edge of the stone, toes dipping in the water. If I hadn’t bitten her, I might have killed Azurite because he had been the one to stop me. I looked sadly down at my reflection. “I’m a freak.” Ripples distorted my image as it started to rain. I sat there, letting the water cascade down my back. Pain coursed down my left side and spread like wildfire throughout my body. I let out a scream, my body pulsing in extreme agony. My vision blurred, colors mixing and running rampant. I fell back on the stone, writhing. I couldn’t stop screaming, the fire that burned inside me was excruciating. “Sabriel!”

Sabriel’s POV

I sat in the meadow crying, the storm clouds reflecting my emotions as they always did.  Sheets of rain plummeted to the ground, lightning crackled and streaked across the sky in a dazzling display. I felt arms encircle my waist and I tensed. I knew immediately it was Azurite.

“Sabriel, sweetheart, are you alright?” He asked, turning my face around to meet his. “Don’t cry I don’t want to see those ugly tears on your beautiful face…” He whispered, wiping them away. “Sabriel, this rain is pouring over the entire region of dreamland, why are you so upset?”

“Cal didn’t believe…” I whispered back, “He said something was wrong with me, that I needed to fix myself.” He hugged me close, “Nothing is wrong with you, you are perfect in every way.” He pressed his lips to mine and I relaxed. “I am never leaving here.” I said, happily. “Wha!?”

“I’m never leaving here, isn’t that what you want?”

“Of course but you can’t be serious.”

“I am and I will.”

“If you stay here too long, your body on Earth will deteriorate.”

“It doesn’t matter, my body here will be fine.”

“Sabriel, you have to go back this instant, Cal will think you’ve slipped into a coma again. You can’t run away from your problems this way.”

“I can and I will.” Fire started to burn inside me and I stumbled forward off my rock. I gasped, my heart beating incredibly fast. “Azurite…its Zane, he’s suffering.” I choked. He quickly heaved me into his arms and started running. “Don’t worry, we’ll find him.” He murmured, running on water. He halted, setting me down on my knees. Zane was writhing on the ground helpless. “Zane…” I croaked, seeing the horror that had befallen my only son. “Zane, sweetheart…” I whispered, pulling his head into my lap, stroking his hair. He whimpered and let out another agonized scream. “Look at me.” I said, putting my hands on either side of his face. His eyes were clamped shut.