CHAPTER THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY

Chief Bartholomew and two of his senior advisors had painted their faces and bodies and wrapped their loins in ceremonial cloth. The Chief was silent as he closely inspected the two skeletons. He held each of the 12 rubies in his hands, one at a time and tears smudged the white paint on each cheek. At least 100 Vanuatu village people gathered around the house dressed and painted as if for a celebration. None of them spoke. Children were not present although they would be in attendance at the huge feast that would follow a very special burial high up on the mountain near their village.

The Chief and his attendants gently removed the skeletons from their thick canvas straps and laid out the bones on two stretchers made from split bamboo and adorned with flowers. The Chief occasionally touched the skull of one of the women and as Ben watched he noticed the large silver ring on the index finger of her right hand. A shiver ran through his body.

Chief Bartholomew approached him and looked up into his eyes. 'You honour us Mr. Hood. You are welcome to attend the burial celebrations.'

'Thank you,' said Ben. 'Are Charlie and Peter able to attend?'

'Of course.'

'Charlie has asked that you take the rubies with you,' said Ben. 'They rightly belong to you and your people.'

Attendants picked up the flower adorned stretchers and as they bore them outside the Vanuatu people began to sing. Their voices started softly and then began to swell louder and louder. Chief Bartholomew picked up the wooden box and walked outside behind the procession with his head held high. Timber drums were beaten in rhythm with the singing.

'What do we do now?' asked Charlie as she and Ben sat on the front verandah of the house and looked out over the ocean. The afternoon sun cast long shadows across the front lawn and huge white billowing clouds drifted toward them on a warm sea breeze.

'I'm going home,' said Ben. 'I'm not sure what you want to do.'

'I suppose I should go and confront my demon,' said Charlie. 'He's admitted to arranging a contract to kill me. He's still in custody. Why would he make those admissions?'

'Perhaps he developed a guilty conscience,' said Ben.

'Not in a million years,' said Charlie. 'Something else has happened.'

Ben remained silent.

'Did you do something to him?'

'I'm here with you,' said Ben. 'How could I have done something to him?'

'Did you tell Tara to do something?'

'I have no idea where Tara is or what she is doing,' said Ben.

'You made sure that things found in Roxley Burrows' bag were disclosed to the Australian police.'

'Yes.'

'So that may tie the fake Mormons into attempts to kill me at Reginald's request.'

'That would be a fair guess,' said Ben.

'What about Tara?'

'What about her?' asked Ben.

Charlie looked at him but remained silent.

'I do this dinner dish which originates from the island of Hainan off the coast of southern China,' said Ben.

'You asked her to do something to Reginald, didn't you?'

'Poached chicken with simmered green vegetables and...'

'What did she do Ben?'

'I don't know,' said Ben. 'Like I said; I have no idea where she is or what she is doing.'