INTRODUCTION

INTRODUCTION

There is a price to be paid for every action you take. The price may be financial loss or gain, emotional loss or gain, relationship loss or gain...but either way, whatever you do each day or perhaps even at night, is on the sea-saw of life and it will either go up or down, one way or another and some kind of toll will be required at the end of the day. The price you pay for an action that brings something positive into your life is still a price. Something will be lost in any attempt to be happy or successful or just get ahead and gain advantage in every single aspect of life.

If things go well, we pay the necessary price willingly. If things go wrong, we live with regret.

Charlie Noah had everything to live for. She was stunningly beautiful, rich, respected as a writer for newspapers and high class magazines in Australia and around the world. She was married to an extremely successful insurance high flyer, lived in a mansion overlooking Sydney Harbour and surrounded by well heeled friends who (she thought) respected and admired her. Most of the opulence which surrounded Charlie's lifestyle came from her husband, Reginald Noah. Her own income was substantial but his bordered from time to time on the obscene.

Quite by accident Charlie found out that her husband was sleeping with the extremely large breasted wife of a neighbour. Charlie's breasts were always considered impressive. The 50 year old neighbour's breasts however, were massive in comparison together with her obsession with oral sex. Charlie threatened to expose her husband's affair in one of her newspaper columns. Reginald Noah locked her out of the family home. Charlie threatened to expose his corrupt and fraudulent dealings within the insurance company which employed him. Reginald threatened to have her severely beaten and Charlie knew he was very serious. She withdrew large sums of money from her private bank accounts and arranged for the construction of a totally new identity complete with relevant identification papers, driver's license and certificates as well as a new off shore bank account. It's not hard if you know the right people. Then she vanished.

With some difficulty, she relocated far away from Sydney. She was still within Australia as this would be the perfect place for her to launch a full scale attack on her husband. He would never know what was about to hit him.

She on the other hand, had no idea how much rage boiled within the heart of Reginald Noah, especially when he discovered that prior to her disappearance she had secretly withdrawn a considerable sum of money from one of his own bank accounts. He was a man who ALWAYS had control, especially where women were concerned. No one brought Reginald Noah down. He brought others down. That was his professional and personal expertise. He would find Charlie Noah and she would be severely punished and tortured if necessary until he had all his money back and was begging him for her life. He had enjoyed her briefly but now a price would be paid and he was willing to pay anything to stop her causing him professional and personal embarrassment or placing his liberty in danger.

Stephen Pope wasn't a man to be trifled with. As a child in South Africa, he had been bullied and bashed to the point where he wrapped himself inside a psychological cocoon and then his mind slowly festered as it planned numerous ways to get even with those who had caused his pain. His father was his first target. He successfully murdered his pompous, overbearing white South African father when he was just 13 years old. Cut his throat and made it look like a burglary gone wrong. The police didn't suspect the boy for a moment. He was a polite, quiet boy who hid his rage and pathological tendencies carefully and expertly. Even his mother had no idea that her son was the killer.

Stephen arrived in Australia in 2000 and by the time he was 46 years old in 2013 he had professionally killed 4 people and pocketed over half a million dollars in cash. He rented a small flat in Darlinghurst, close to the Sydney CBD under a false name. He occasionally used the services of prostitutes, both male and female but basically lived his life in shadow land. He had short cropped greying hair, pale white skin and a rather prominent nose which had been broken when he was a teenager and now tilted slightly to his left. He was almost 6 feet tall, thin but extremely fit. His eyes were hazel in colour but for some reason appeared to look grey...almost as if they were a dead man's eyes. Stephen's eyes in fact matched his soul. Both were dead notwithstanding the fact that he continued to breathe and work occasionally as one of the most deadly killers in Australia.

Stephen was currently under contract and he had spent hours of fruitless time searching for the target social networks on his computer. He had put out feelers in all directions but one month after landing a very lucrative contract he still had no idea whatsoever where Charlie Noah was hiding. Stephen hated work that required him to search for the victim. He was used to having the target immediately located and identified so that he could carefully assess the situation and then strike quickly and efficiently. Charlie Noah seemed to have carefully hidden her tracks. He would make her pay for that because he hated searching for the target. In fact part of his contract was that this particular target was to be beaten to within an inch of her life in order that she could be interrogated by her husband. An interesting contract and one that he would enjoy immensely as long as it didn't take too much longer to find the target. He would enjoy the kill at the end of the job. He wasn't going to wait around for her husband to perform a stupid superiority act while she was close to death. He would simply find her and kill her. Stephen really enjoyed watching his victims die. He enjoyed watching the surprised and painful look on their face and the fear in their eyes as their life blood spurted away. He would have to try and discover all the places which Charlie Noah had enjoyed visiting in the past and perhaps check those areas if practicable. Then again, if he were in Charlie Noah's shoes, perhaps it would be smarter to hide away in a place that was the total opposite to the favourite places. He would have to learn much more about Charlie Noah in order to have any hope of finding her. Getting to know her better however, had the advantage of making the beating and the kill all the more exciting.

"****"