XXIV - A Broken Trust - Part I

Elli

October 9, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

A group of ghouls were riding on horses that were formed by smoke. The eyes and the hooves of the horses were red. They stampeded the ranch, causing the animals to shriek in fear. Surrounding the cattle and the piglets, the ghouls raised the smoky chains in their hands. Once the chains touched the animals’ skin, chasms formed on the ground, and the animals were swallowed into the Underworld.

Marko and the group sprang onto the ghouls. Roxy was the only one remained where she stood, her mouth agape. They fought on, but as they brought their weapons down onto the enemies, the smoke disbanded. Seconds later, the ghouls reformed. Marko cast a fiery rune onto them, but that caused them no harm, too. The attacks irked the ghouls. They lashed their horses and stomped towards Marko. They were about to close in him when Roxy jumped in front of him.

Raising her scythe to the air, she shouted, “Go away!” Lightning slashed out of the clouds and hit some of the ghouls. The electricity current ran through their hollow bodies and they evaporated into thin air, never to reform again. Fissures opened up, and the other shadow ghouls escaped into the Underworld. Her other hand was clutching an almost-black wand, shivering in rage. All eyes fell on Roxy, and shock contorted their faces into something beyond recognition.

After Marko’s shock had settled down, he said, “The colour of your wand. It's... dull. And-and you seldom use it alone. You always use it along with your scythe.”

Lukas stepped in front of Roxy, his jaw clenched. “What's that supposed to mean?”

Marko replied, “Our life force is attached with the wand. It'll turn—”

“This is ridiculous. Roxy just saved all of our lives. And what did she get in return? Some far-fetched theory of yours? We used to be a team, Marko. But ever since that human appeared—”

“It’s nothing to do with Elli. Don’t pull her into the water. I’m just talking about the facts. Roxy, she, she—”

“Marko!” Elli shouted all of a sudden. Everyone turned to look at her. She managed a shy smile and pointed to the crowd in front of them. “Uhm, I just want to say, the town people is coming.”

A comical looking man scampered towards them. He was bald, not because he shaved all of his hair like Benedict. He had only three straps of white hair which he combed across the scalp, trying his best to be handsome. His skin was dried and tanned. His white goatee and brows made him look like an aging brown goat with bent spine. The condition of his teeth could surpass Agatha and her sisters. He was a hideous figure one wouldn't want to look at. Ironically, he was a figure one just couldn't avert their vision from. But as he spoke, his strong firm voice surprised Elli.

“Oh our saviours, I couldn’t thank you enough. My name is Jax Thompson. I am the mayor of this town. We were so scared when those things invaded our town. You know, we can’t do magic and those things don’t seem to be afraid of blades. We’re so gladful you turn up in time. Please, join us. You can stay in the guest house. We’re organising a feast at the beach. My wife is the best cook in the world.”

The entire atmosphere lifted. Rooney and Benedict exchanged mischievous glances before leading the way into the town. The pygmy bragged about his own cooking skills, and the town people laughed. They patted his shoulders and opened up a path for him to march in. The Jackals cast Roxy a suspicious glare but they couldn't utter another word, as kids swarmed around them, as if they were Santa Claus who was going to give away presents. Jax draped a hand over Marko’s shoulder and hurled him into the town.