XXI - Debate in Underworld - Part I

Vadiraj

October 9, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

Vadiraj stood in the middle of a ring of Vampists, whipping them one by one with his lash. The Underworld was dark, lit only by the amber light of ghost fire, but his fury could still be seen.

“Why did you tell them?” he asked Cindy.

“Because I’m sick of your behaviour,” said Cindy. “We can survive by just drinking the students' blood. Please, Vadiraj, please stop. This is not you.”

“I don’t want to survive. I want to prosper!”

“Can’t you see the obvious? The more Vampists we have, the faster we’re out of supply. When there's no longer fresh stock, we’ll eventually die. You’re making a big mistake. Plus not all of us are as stong as you. Most of us aren't immune to spells and jinxes. Look at what happened to us just now. The wizards just need to cast a simple freezing incantation on us, and we can be killed just like that.”

“I am never wrong; I never make mistake. Sometimes, we need to sacrifice someone to win the entire realm. And I don't see any loopholes in my strategies. By mutating my army, they are still their original selves. Their bodies can still produce fresh blood. They could thrive on ordinary food while at the same time, supplying us blood and listen to my command.” His voice became softer as he grabbed Cindy’s shoulders. “Can’t you see my dedication? I just want our tribe to be the dominant one.”

A mousey-haired Vampist with hunchback said, “But now they know my identity, they’ll inform my students. That foul human has a jukebox—”

“That human is my bride,” Vadiraj said with clenched teeth. "Watch your tongue, Dominic."

The mousey-haired Vampist bowed and apologised for his blatant words.

“She would rather die if that’s the case,” said Cindy. Sighing, she walked out of the group.

“Come back. Where're you going? Nobody can turn their back to me,” roared Vadiraj.

“I’m ashamed to be in your group. I’m ashamed to be your sister.” Cindy threw Vadiraj a long look of resentment, before ascending to the earth.

“Come back!” Vadiraj's roar made the entire cavern tremble. Some ghouls in dusty togas that were sweeping the floor cowered underneath a dining table.

"Your sister's mind is corrupted, my lord. And if you allow me to say, your mind is losing control too, because of love." Dominic walked towards Vadiraj and placed his bony fingers on Vadiraj's hand.

Vadiraj looked at his hunchback servant. Instead of roaring again, his shoulders slumped, and his stares softened. "Are we not capable to love?"

"My lord, when you're strong, women of all kinds and sizes will come to you. Let us rue not over such matter. Come to see the team I made for you."

Dominic led Vadiraj to another chamber, where agonising wails of pain filled the air. Vadiraj had the entire sixteenth floor of the Underworld as his palace, and it was now filled with demonic looking creatures. Afar, tied on a stone platform, was Benedict's wife. Within days, her green body had turned grey with black spots on it. Black vines with thorns as sharp as daggers bound around her arms, as she tried to give birth to... an army of gargantuan creatures with tusks of elephants and bodies of leopards.

"This, my lord, is what we call strength. Your day of victory is near. What you need to do now, is to prepare your goblet and wait." Dominic walked towards a small table and grabbed a jar filled with blood. He poured the coppery liquid into two goblets and passed one to Vadiraj. "Remember the Demon Lord, Illidad? He's still waiting for your confirmation."

Vadiraj stared at Dominic. His heart was boiled with suspicion, yet he tried not to show through his countenance. Dominic had often nagged at him about letting Illidad’s armies entering Reminis. There were times he tried to read Dominic’s mind, yet Dominic found way to block the intrusion. However, he didn’t need a confession to know what his servant was doing. His sister was right about Dominic, after all.

Vadiraj knew Dominic had been serving Illidad when he was trapped under Mount Tampas. Dominic had created conflicts between the sorcerers so that their unity was broken. This was beneficial for Illidad and it eased Vadiraj’s operation, too. But Dominic also had a great influence over the Vampists. Some even listened to Dominic’s command more than they would to Vadiraj’s.

He loved Reminis, and he wouldn’t allow other brethren from an alienated realm to conquer it. He, alone, should be the ruler of this prosperous land. A compromise had been reached with his inner self. From today onwards, he must watch this man before him, the man he used to call a best friend. Yet, Dominic was smart. He must be vigilant. Acting in ignorance, Vadiraj sighed and asked, “So, what plan Illidad has that can help me to conquer Reminis?”

Dominic spent a great thirty minutes relaying the strategies of the Demon Lord. Vadiraj barely nodded when Dominic had finished talking. Wearing a haughty look, he said, “Let me have a look at his proposal letter and I’ll think about it.”

Greed flashed across Dominic's dull grey eyes. Great, he bought that lie, thought Vadiraj.

Smiling a wry smile, Dominic stepped closer to Vadiraj, until he was only an inch away from Vadiraj's right ear. Vadiraj could feel the cold breath on his neck and smell the metallic blood as Dominic whispered, "My lord, it may hurt you, but that human isn't what she is. She must be killed."