XVI - The Earth Wanderers - Part I

Elli

October 5, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

They waded through the muddy forest floor for at least half an hour. 

The man in the hood made a shh sound when Elli stepped too hard on some twigs. His hood fell, and he hastily replaced it over his head, as if he was embarrassed to let people see his face. He gestured them to move on, and the latter proceeded with an awkward obedience. 

He had a powerful aura that made them obey him.

After surviving several tormenting minutes of silence, Marko could hold his breath no longer and he asked, "Who are you? Why must we trust you?"

"My name is my own business. Well, why would you follow an old man thus far if you don't trust him?" the hooded man questioned in return. "But there's one thing that I can tell you. I've been trailing you since you stepped into the forest, and opt to send you aid with certain payment in return. Now that you've learned enough of me, let's move on."

"I know who you are!" Elli exclaimed suddenly. "You are the hooded man that had given us the candy floss in the wholesale market. Why did you follow us? And you, you released the Vampists from Mount Tampas," The mentioning of the Vampists irked her, but she couldn't bring her anger on this man. His voice sounded familiar but she couldn't confirm it, as it was now laced with a divine tone. She felt like she had known him for a long time. She wanted to trust him, but...

"Ahh, Elli, Elli... Don't ask me how I know your name." The hooded man looked up at her. Though his face was hidden behind the shade of his hood, Elli could see a glint of shrewdness spreading across his eyes. A sense of familiarization enveloped her. "Let's just say that I love stalking people. About the accusation of releasing the Vampists, that's absurd. Don't tell me that you trusted that poltergeist's words. His vision is as good as an old bat. The Underworld is full of hooded figures. So, his testimony is as worthy as the pebbles by the roadside. Plus I've never been to the Underworld. I am not the one he saw."

Elli eyed his shadowed face. If he hadn't been to the Underworld, how could he be so sure that it was full of hooded figures. And if he had been to the Underworld, that would mean... She rubbed her wrist, where the tattoo wrapped around, peacefully and harmlessly. "Wait, how did you know about what Pokkadon had said to us? We didn't see you in the pub." 

"That's the strength of a stalker," he replied halfheartedly.

"I don't trust you. Take out this tattoo." Elli shoved her wrist up to his eyes.

"That's a gift. It can't be taken back. Now, any more questions?" 

"Show us the mark of Lucifer," Roxy demanded.

For a second, panic ruled over his voice. "I don't know what you're talking about. Let's not tardy over your foolish curiosity towards me. We shouldn't let the Earth Wanderer's leader wait. I can assure you that I'll do you no harm. There are four of you, and I'm only one, if you see the logic."

As if charmed by his words, they followed him without further interrogation. They trotted along low bushes for minutes until the hooded man stretched out his hand, causing them to bump into each other. He checked the surroundings and said, "Halt your step, we've arrived."

Stark brightness assailed Elli's eyes. She walked in awe with the group into a vast land of snow. 

Hundreds of white tents settled on the ground. The canvas projected proud white sheen under the moon. The leader of the Earth Wanderer must be someone powerful that could change season in a blink of an eye. The hooded man gestured the shivering quartet forward.