III - Spearwood Sorcery Academy

Elli

October 2, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC)

Thousands of meters above the Underworld, Elli opened the door of Marko's cubicle and fell-- into a river. The water wasn't either chilly or lukewarm, which surprised her. That kind of temperature that would instantly wash away one's fatigue. Feeling energized, Elli raised her head and spat out a mouthful of water. To her amazement, the water tasted like fruit jelly. Curious, she scooped up a handful of it. It became a transparent jelly-like substance in no time.

Elli couldn't find words to explain her excitement.

Still, she pretended to be angry. "You should've told me that your front porch is a river!"

"I warned you." Smirking still, Marko plunged into the water. 

Elli kicked the pebbles from the river bed and they pelted Marko's face. The sand massaged her weary feet and the ripples, like black diamonds, brought joy to her soul. She was about to send another wave of Pebble Attack towards Marko when she heard noises above her.

Two wizards rode on flying Dodos, spraying floral perfume to the air. Elli was flabbergasted to see the Dodos here. She thought they were extinct. She recalled watching a documentation from one of the National Geographic Channels which mentioned that such species didn't fly.

But she had no time for logic. In front of her, the Dodos opened their beaks to inhale the dust particles. Elli's brown irises enlarged with excitement as she saw the birds flying past a row of cubicles. Magical runes swirled around each cabin, lighting up the neighbourhood. Some shone like light bulbs; some took the shape of sprinklers, watering the tall hawthorn trees. Elli noticed that the cubicles were each a stand-alone unit, not like terraces. Hawthorn trees flourished in between each unit, making each cubicle even more distinguishable than the other. The fiery hawthorn flowers dangling from the trees looked like decor paraphernalia for some festivals. 

Unlike Marko, some of the Black-Borns had extended their verandas. Colourful coffee tables and recliners decorated the verandas, where the Black-Borns gathered around. They busied themselves with playing chess or chit-chatting, as if the world was still its peaceful self.

"It doesn't look bad for an underground tunnel," Elli muttered under her breath.

"Yeah, it's just a matter of perception. Come, I want to wish someone farewell before we set off."

The twosome swam to the third cubicle from Marko's unit. Unlike the other cubicles where their front porches were lined with blossoming hawthorn trees or furniture, this one looked plain. Elli had the slightest idea of herself visiting a morgue. Standing on the edge of the porch, Marko helped Elli up. Elli was dumbfounded as she watched her clothes dry by themselves. Marko was less excited. He heaved a deep sigh, before ringing the bell.

The door yanked open at the third ring.

A chestnut-haired man about their age stuck his head out and as he saw Marko, his blue eyes sparkled. "I was about to go look for you. Roxy wants to invite you for dinner."

"Uhm, Lukas, I'm afraid I can't stay for dinner. I'm going for a quest with this friend of mine, and I'm here to say good-bye." Marko gestured halfheartedly at Elli.

Lukas' eyes followed the path of the scar on Elli's cheek. His thin lips jerked up in a vile angle, and his reedy cheeks made him look like an eagle. "Who's she? I've never seen her before."

"She's just a friend. Well, I'll miss you and Roxy. That's it, we're leaving!"

Marko prepared to dive into the river when Lukas grabbed his arm. "I say, you are not a good liar. You're hiding something from me. She's not a Black-Born, nor is she a witch. Who is she?"