Chapter Twenty-One

Sorry it has taken me so long to update this story. As you already know I'm starting professional school, and it has been a little rough in starting, but I'm hoping to be able to continue to write when I can. Thank you all for your continued reading! The writing here may not be of the greatest caliber, but I hope you enjoy nonetheless.

The remainder of our journey to the Mayfield estate was quiet and subdued. I had not seen Lord Sutherland for days, even after our arrival, and that suited me just fine. It appeared that he had been avoiding me just as much as I avoided him. It was not difficult to do at such a large and crowded country party. There was always some sort of activity for the ladies to do, keeping them away from the gentlemen and their shooting. I spent my evenings chattering aimlessly with all of the other unmarried girls, though I found them to be dreadfully dull conversation on topics other than marriage and embroidery.

I had yet to see neither Reggie and Lord Westover, nor Mama and Father. How I longed to speak with Reggie of the addle-brained behavior Sutherland displayed. It truly puzzled me why he should act in such a manner then just as quickly revert to conducting himself in as cold of a manner as he ever had. It was of no matter now; I would just as soon be rid of him. This time my plans would be exact and there would be no room for error or surprises as I had experienced at the inn.

Lady Allenwyk kept company with the other dowagers attending the party, and left me quite at my leisure for most of the time. The weather was pleasant enough that I took to daily morning walks around the gardens, allowing me to be sentinel to the approaching carriages bringing with them more of Society to the quaint countryside. Only four days after our arrival, I saw the Harding carriage make its way down the winding lane to the house. I remained hidden in the garden as I watched its occupants disembark one by one, greeted by both Lord and Lady Mayfield and Lord Sutherland. I watched as Abigail took his proffered arm, smiling prettily as she did so, and entered the house with her parents in tow.

“It is not very polite to spy on others.” The masculine voice that came from behind me was not expected, but it was familiar and lessened my surprise.

“It is not very polite to sneak up on a lady, Lord Westover,” I retorted in good humor as I turned to face the husband of my dear friend.

“Well, I never did claim to be polite.” We both smiled. “What is it you are doing here in the gardens spying, Miss Langdon?”

“I am not spying. I was merely curious as to who arrived so late. I have been awaiting your arrival for quite some time now. Were you delayed by business? Reggie said you would both be here soon after us.” Westover smiled broadly as if he had an exquisite secret to share, but did not voice it.

“Reggie and I arrived just last night. I will leave it to her to explain our tardiness in arrival. Come, I shall take you to her. She has been eager to see you since your departure with Sutherland.” He offered me his arm, and I took it gladly as we walked together towards the house. It was a pleasant walk, as we shared the companionable silence, hearing only the chirping of birds in the distance of the nearby forest.

“How have you been, Kathryn?”

“I have been very well, thank you. And yourself?” I told him pleasantly, not wanting him to know the situation I faced in previous encounters with Sutherland that had left me slightly cross.

“You are getting along well with Sutherland then, are you?” he asked, keeping his gaze trained ahead.

I made a particularly unladylike sound before replying, but I knew Westover would not take particular offense to it. “I would not say that we are getting along well, nor would I say we are getting along poorly.” I paused, thinking carefully of my next words to explain the confusing business between Sutherland and me.