Chapter Eighteen (partial)

Here it is! Now remember, it's only a partial chapter, and still the first draft of it for that matter. Hope you enjoy what there is of it!

The Season had finally ended, and thankfully without further incident. I remained in Sutherland's townhouse under the vigilant eyes of Lady Allenwyk. She was not impressed with the manners she witnessed at the dinner party, and dedicated the last weeks of the Season to rectifying my atrocious comportment. Although I originally found her quite forward upon our first meeting, she was quite adherent to propriety and insisted on everything proper. It must have been the wine.

"I believe you are now competent to be presented into Society," Lady Allenwyk announced in the final days of our time spent in the townhouse. The housekeeper and maids bustled about packing and closing up the house for the remainder of the year. I curtsied prettily, though as I ducked my head, I rolled my eyes in exasperation. Her daily lessons had been interminable, not even allowing me a reprieve in the form of socializing with Reggie when she called on the occasional morning.

Despite my ability to display proficiency in the societal niceties, she demanded perfection and quibbled over the smallest details of my deportment.

However, I maintained my pretense of diffidence throughout her lessons, waiting for the chance to secretly disappear during the household move back to the country estate. I continued to ignore her ramblings on her latest peerage report, as I had no interest in bringing a wealthy nobleman up to scratch. It was as if she were using my circumstance as a way of fulfilling her wish to have her own daughter to prepare for her debut. "Don't slouch Kathryn, it is quite unladylike," she scolded in between peers.

"Yes, my lady.'' I straightened only slightly, attempting to find a comfortable position to last through the long lecture.

"Now then, where was I?" she asked, to no one in particular. "Oh yes, Lord Danbury."

I let out a sharp hiss at the mention of that name, and immediately regretted my lapse in composure. I grimaced at the admonishing glare the viscountess sent my way and forthwith assumed the stoic countenance that was expected of me throughout the lesson.

"He is quite a catch, you know. Perhaps Sutherland's fiance might put in a kind word for you." I inwardly cringed. There was something sinister about that man, and I was doubtful Abigail would lift a finger to do something for my benefit. Lady Allenwyk continued to chatter, taking my expressionless silence for encouragement on the topic. "Yes," she continued, "I believe we may yet make a match for you."

I remained silent, my mind racing for a plan that would lead to my escape from both the viscountess and the pending scheme of matchmaking.

The daily lesson was interrupted by one of the footmen, bearing a message from Lord Sutherland to his mother.

"Come in, come in," she commanded the man, who fumbled slightly in the presence of such a domineering woman.

"My lady," he bowed deeply, "Lord Sutherland sends a missive."

"Well come here then," she commanded with an exasperated tone, extending her hand waiting impatiently for him to place it there. I looked at him with sympathy as he delivered the note. If only he knew what I endured for hours on end each day. He bowed once more and expediently exited the room. I stared at the door, as if willing it to open once more to distract from the lesson.

"It appears Sutherland requests your presence for an afternoon ride in the park." She spoke plainly, disinterested in the contents of the message as it did not pertain to her in the least.

"Does it mention why?" I ventured to ask.

"Does it matter? He is the lord of the house, you will do as he say regardless of reason."

I said nothing, and turned my attention to the embroidery on my skirts. "Why do you remain here, Kathryn?" Her words immediately struck a chord of anxiety in me.

"Wha-what do you mean, my lady?" Did she know of my thoughts of escape from here?

"Lord Sutherland has requested your attendance for a ride in the park. You must go and dress in your riding habit for such an outing." Lady Allenwyk appeared to be much more volatile after her son's missive arrived. However, in lieu of questioning her ever changing mood, I quickly stood from the settee and curtsied before gathering my skirts and hurrying out the door.

"Wear the azure habit," she called just as I passed through the doorway. I ducked my head back in simply to acknowledge her.

"Yes, my lady." I turned hastily, avoiding further conversation and admonishment of keeping his lordship waiting.

***

The process of dressing for a mere ride in the park was wearisome, and I highly doubted it received any appreciation from the earl himself.

"I feared perhaps it would be necessary to come fetch you myself," he said blandly, clearly irritated by my lack of punctuality.

"Perhaps you should taken your ride alone then," I ground out. If he did not wish to wait upon me to dress, the he should not have asked me to join him on his ride. "You knew very well Lady Allenwyk would not allow me to step foot out the door without proper this and proper that. It bewilders me that she would even allow me to ride with you without a chaperone to accompany us."

"Indeed. Just think of the scandal that would have ensued if anyone had seen you in anything less than a proper habit," he replied dryly.

"You are insufferable." I stepped aside as the groom led the horse and waited to mount.

"Indeed, but you will come take a ride with me nonetheless."

Lacking a mounting step, I was obliged to be handed up by the groom, who apparently overestimated the force with which he needed. I nearly went over the horse had I not grasped the pommel of the saddle. "That is, if you can manage to stay atop your mount," Sutherland added with ill-concealed humor.

I glared at him with all the menace I could muster, but he continued to be unnerved. "Now then," he said, "shall we be on our way, Miss Kathryn?"

Nudging my horse forward, I rode past his lordship, refusing to answer in a civilized manner. I much preferred to be childish in response to his own unrefined retorts. He quickly caught up and rode alongside me as we entered the park and advanced down the well-worn lane.