Chapter Fourteen

'Tis one thing to be tempted, another thing to fall.

            William Shakespeare

“What were you thinking?” Westover demanded in a terse whisper as he pulled me from the gardens. I stumbled behind him, speechless and still reeling from Sutherland’s less than chaste kiss. “If any other person had come across the both of you in the garden you would be in the same situation as you were three years ago.”

He took one glance back at me and stopped mid-stride, shaking his head as if dumbfounded. I could only surmise that I might have looked dazed, because his manner became light, and his tone less brash as he led me back to the ballroom in search of Reggie.

Reggie immediately came to my side as she saw our approach, taking me by the arm and leading us away from the crowded ballroom. I briefly recall Westover calling for the carriage before my thoughts became a confused menagerie of emotions, regrets, and other unsavory things.

At first, I was peeved with Reggie for once again relating my secrets to her husband when they were spoken of in confidence, but I realized her bounty of emotions were much simpler to read than an open book. Westover more than likely came to his own conclusions upon the mentioning of my name as to where I had gone off to. What puzzled me most was that Sutherland had kissed me in such a way, and that I had responded so readily. I had not a clue what had possessed him, nor I, to commit such an act.

The thought that perhaps Sutherland only acted in such a manner to make Abigail jealous suddenly came to mind, and I felt as if a herd of horses just traipsed over me. What kind of game was he playing at, and why me? Out of all the young debutantes at the masquerade tonight, why did he once again single me out to play the fool?

Only when I finally looked up from staring at my skirts did I notice Reggie and her husband watching me, attentive and curious. It appeared that I was not the only one to display my thoughts so plainly. Yet they both remained silent on the matter, and I only assumed it was because they did not wish to upset me more than I already appeared to be, and rightly so, for I would have liked to inflict physical harm on the earl at that moment.

The remainder of the ride was spent in silence, until we three stood outside of the Westover residence. Reggie turned to me with a somber and understanding expression, and took me by the hand.

“Kit, will you be all right?”

I nodded blankly. I was unsure as to how I would feel after mulling over this evening’s events, but I knew I needed the time to do just that. “I think it would be best if I went back to the earl’s townhouse before he returns. I am supposed to be abed with illness.

She returned a telling look, and I smiled weakly in my attempt to lift the air of gravity. “I will be fine. Do not worry. I have endured once, and I shall do so again,” I assured her as I led her up the steps, “Once I relinquish this constricting gown to you I shall be on my way, and the earl will be none the wiser.”

Reggie nodded hesitantly, as if she were unsure as to whether or not I would disappear into the night as I had years ago. Although a tempting course of action, I could not run from my troubles for the second time. Sutherland would not win a second time. This time, I would prove the victor.

***

Shortly after I donned my old clothing, I left Reggie and her husband and began my walk back to Sutherland’s townhouse. The streets remained quiet save for a few stray barks of laughter coming from a lone passing carriage or an open door. I was quite content to meander and let my thoughts free rein.

I was thinking of nothing in particular when I heard a familiar voice shouting, and the sound of hoof beats on the cobbled street.

“Where is he Mr. Finney!”