Chapter 7

Unfortunately Morpheus was just as depressing about my fate. In fact he said, and I quote, “If it helps, I always liked you, even though you were depressing sometimes.” Notice he used the past tense, as if I was already dead. But neither he nor my dad seems to think I have much of a chance. Ray told me that he was sure I would be fine, but he’s always been unrealistically optimistic so that actually made me feel worse. If that’s possible.

So then I punched a wall and stormed out. This was, of course, insanely stupid because when I left I paid no attention to where I was going so I became hopelessly lost. We’d obviously been hiding out in some safe house because I recognized nothing. Eventually I found a diner, so at least I could get a caffeine fix, but naturally I had no money. I only discovered that after I had ordered it though, so I was trying to find the nearest exit and make a run for it when a guy sat down across from me and forked over a couple of dollar bills.

Not thinking twice I snatched the money and pocketed it. Then I looked up at my generous coffee buyer and almost died of shock.

“You look like you were attacked by a pack of dogs.”

“Always the charmer.” I shot back

“You’ve changed, I almost didn’t recognize you.”

“Really, I figured I was pretty memorable.”

“Why didn’t you ever come back?”

I took a gulp of coffee before answering. “I can’t. Not ever.”

He nodded and I couldn’t help but remember us before. Younger, lighter, freer. He had a hardness about him that he’d never had before. I’m to blame for that I suppose.

“Thanks for the coffee.” I stood up.

As I was leaving he called after me, “I know you didn’t kill him Hailey.”

A few people glanced up at me as I left, but I let my hair fall into my eyes, obscuring their view of my face. And it’s guilt, because I did kill him, even if his brother didn’t believe it.

Of course it had started to rain outside and I had decided to wear a white shirt. I gave up caring about the sheerness of my shirt though when I boy loomed out of the rain in front of me. I punched him in the face, or tried to, but he ducked and through me over his shoulder. I’m not usually so violent, but it was very clear that this guy was not human, but rather a demigod and therefor out to kill me. If his eerie glowing eyes weren’t enough to tick me off, then the golden armor that covered every inch of his skin was. He was, literally, a golden boy. I would have no chance to use my creepy death powers on this one. As I slammed into the pavement he pivoted on one foot and slammed a metal pated fist into my face. I kicked at his leg and he faltered, giving me time to roll over and miss his next punch.

I spat out a tooth and got to my feet. Then I did the smartest thing I could think of. I ran. Like a coward, but honestly, I do not want to die. Unfortunately golden-boy was quite the runner so he reached me and threw me off my feet before I had gotten too far. I face planted. Jumping to my feet I spun around and charged, slamming into him full force.

He fell over and hit the concrete below, wincing to my delight. I spit out another tooth in his face and felt my anger flare. I punched him in the face. Once, twice, three times. Blood ran from his nose and he whimpered in pain. I knew that I had beaten his but my anger was still blazing.

 I roared in fury, at Zeus, at my past, at everyone who had pissed me off in the past four years and channeled it through my palms, pressing them into the boy’s chest.

He screamed in agony as my palms burned into his now uncovered flesh. I pulled back in repulsion. He writhed on the ground as I rose and staggered back, all my fury replaced by disgust at myself. Bile rose in my throat and I vomited on the rain slick road. When I was done, I looked back at him and saw that he was still alive, but my handprints were branded across his chest.

I staggered away, then turned around and ran for my life. Finding a gas station I sank to the ground against the back wall. Then, bringing my hands up to my face I examined them. They were utterly normal, slim white fingers, half-moon fingernails, but I couldn’t help feeling that it was all just a façade, that I was a monster hiding in a human skin.

So you meet a charater from the past in this. If you hadn't realized. So what did you think?

Vote and Comment if you liked it!