Chapter 9

The rain began to slow. Zeus must have realized that crying wasn’t going to do anything. Strangely the thought didn’t inspire mountains of confidence in me.

“Where are we?” I asked Ray, pulling away. He shrugged.

“I think it’s a school.” He replied. I looked around; we seemed to be in a parking lot. Turning I looked at the building behind me. My blood went cold.

“We need to go.” I said, my voice shaking with anger.

“What is it?” Ray sounded confused, I didn’t blame him. A minute ago I was sobbing like a little child and now I was shivering with fury. And cold, the rain was not helping keep me warm in the already chilly autumn weather.

“My dad has a lot of explaining to do.” I said through gritted teeth, marching back towards the car. Slamming the door behind me I sat sullenly in the passenger’s seat, arms crossed. Ray didn’t question me further, instead letting me stew in the seething anger that was overcoming my senses.

This explained why I had seen him. My dad knew most of all why I wanted to leave my past behind, so why would he betray me like this? Ray sped home, obviously sensing that I was about to snap. As he pulled up into the driveway I leapt out of the car before it had even finished braking.

“Havoc!” Ray yelled after me, but I had already stormed into the living room where my dad was sitting. He stood up, looking worried.  

“Are you alright? I was so…” I stomped up to him and shoved him, hard. “What?” I punched him and he recoiled, his head snapping back. I felt the air growing stale around me and unconsciously knew that holes where my feet stood were being burned into the carpet. Gosh I cared so much.

“You…” I lashed out with my foot; he blocked it and responded with a punch of his own, which I dodged. “Bastard!” he grabbed my wrists and twisted me so that I was trapped in his arms. I tried to break loose, but he wouldn’t let me.

“I’m going to let go now. Don’t try to hit me again.” I took a deep breath and nodded, trying to cool down. “Why are you so angry?”

“Like you don’t know.” I hissed leaping away from him.

“I don’t.” I turned and advanced on him, stopping when we were nose to nose.

“You brought me back here! You know what I did here. How could you?” I couldn’t stop the betrayal that poisoned my last sentence giving away just how hurt I was.

“I’m sorry Havoc. I didn’t have much of a choice.”

“That’s a lie and you know it. I saw his brother. I saw my old school. Who knows who else I’ll meet if I have to stay here. What if I see my father?” Panic laced my words as I backed away, turning away from my dad.

“They dropped the charges. There was no proof that you did it. Everyone believes that you ran because you couldn’t face their deaths. It was a tragic coincidence.”

I laughed bitterly. “That’s not the point though. I know. I’m a murderer and it’s harder to forget when I’m back in the place where I killed them!” I yelled the last part, spinning to face my dad.

He winced, realizing his mistake. “I’m sorry.”

“You know what. Don’t worry. It isn’t your problem. It never was.” I spat.

“Havoc…” But I had already left the room. I bumped into Ray as I left. He looked helplessly at my dad, but my dad ignored him.

“Wait.” Ray followed me, spinning me around. “Care to fill me in?”