Searching for her

Comment and vote please

Dr Reuben's Pov

As I dejectedly walked out of the room leaving him alone, I heard the other physicians murmuring. I listened and they were talking about pulling the plug on the patient. Bringing my worse fear to pass. "We have to inform his family, even if he wakes up wish we all know is impossible. He won't ever be able to function."  I heard one of the doctors say.

"Let's have Doctor Reuben do it, you know he is a family friend and to be honest I am sure none of you really want to be known as the doctor who became the bearer of the unfortunate news."

"I definitely do not want to be on duty when this is done." Another says sounding solemn. I understood their point of view and I couldn't fault them even if I tried. So I made my presence known to them.

"Don't worry guys, I'll do it. It's the least I could do for them."  The Doctors all looked at me with guilty expressions on their faces. "The family members are all here because they were expecting the worse so hmmm any idea when what time the machines all goes off?" I asked them with all the seriousness I could muster up given the situation.

"The sooner the better, so as soon as the family says their goodbyes."  The hospital director says as he approached us. I hadn't even heard him approach since I had so much on my mind. With that said I excused myself and went in search of the family to give them the news. It was every parents worse nightmare. And something a doctor just never gets used to.

With a twinge of sadness and bitterness I opened the door to the waiting room that held them. His mother collapsed as soon as she saw my facial expression, I guess I didn't have to say the words my dismal mood and body language did just that for me. "Oh God no please, please don't say it." His aunty cried as the others fuss over the unconscious woman that was laid on the floor.

With a deep breath I said, "I'm sorry there isn't anything else we can do. But for those who wants to say their goodbyes, you've been given as much time as you require."  I felt helpless and I hated the feeling of helplessness.  The nurses who had come in when the elderly lady collapsed  helped wheeled her off to a room. So not being able to face them, I went to my office and locked myself inside as I shed tears of blood. Unlike others I couldn't cry in front of everyone.

Within the hour the news had already broken out and it was being sensationalised on national TV. The crack was becoming apparent on the financial market, stocks were diving down fast as people sold their shares. There were reporters everywhere swarming the hospital. Even funeral plans were being leaked out It was horrible and there was little anyone could do but watch the drama play out.

The family agreed they didn't want to watch the machine go off and asked that since I was a close friend of theirs, that I stay with him in his final moment. It was an honour I readily accepted. So after they all finished with their farewells, I walked in alone to turn off the machines. But before that I decided to say and bid him my own adieu. 

"It's such a pity you are having to go."  I sighed heavily as I commenced, "Your parents were really hoping you'd wake up. For four years I have stayed beside you to make sure I gave you the best treatment and care there was."  I said taking his hand in mine. I saw him as a son I never had. I had watched him grow from a boy to a young man. I even helped deliver him almost forty years ago.

"You know, I thought turning you into a vampire would keep you alive. I mean it kept you for four years. But now I'm afraid it's come to the end of the road for us."  My hands shook as I pulled out the ventilator that was helping his breathing from his mouth. "Your parents are just outside this door, they are too consumed in grief to watch your final moment."  The flat beeping sound came on indicating he was dying so I turned it off not wanting his parents to hear it.