Chapter Twenty-Six

UPLOAD :D So this is the chapter preceeding something really big, so be excited. 

The picture on the side is Debby's dress.

The video is Dancing Trough Life from Wicked, because the lyrics "Nothing matters, but knowing nothing matters" are completely relevant to the end of the chapter.

Happy reading :D

**********************************************************************************

     The next two days in the house were on the uncomfortable side. This was mainly because I now that knew about my dad cheating on my mum, it completely changed the way I viewed things. He was still my dad, and I still loved him, but in a different way. All the years I had spent hating my mother for abandoning me, I should have been hating him. The change in my relationship with my mum was also a bit odd, because it’s hard to alter the way you act so drastically in such a short space of time.

     All in all I was glad when they left again on Saturday. Don’t get me wrong, I was over the moon that I had fixed things with Mum, but while Dad was also in the house, I couldn’t concentrate on her. They would be coming back on the thirty-first of August, just in time for my birthday, and then the next time my dad had to leave, she wouldn’t be going with him.

     They had decided that after all these years they didn’t feel the need for a divorce. My dad would mainly be in other countries, so he could do what ever he wanted, my mum wanted to focus on being a mother, to make up for lost time. If they decided they wanted to officially split later, they would.

     One thing Dad was adamant about was that his money was still ours, and would always be. He had plenty, and he told us that even if they did get a divorce, he would still support my mum financially.

     Sunday was a tense day. It was the day that all schools in Britain were releasing the results of everyone’s A levels. Rob and Michael were both wrecks, waiting for their phones to ring with the all-important news.

     ‘Calm down,’ I told Michael. ‘Whatever happens, you can’t change it by worrying.’

     ‘I know,’ he said, rubbing his hands through his hair. ‘But I can’t help it. These marks are going to decide my future. If I don’t get three As, I can’t go to Warwick. If I get two As and a B I’ll have to go to Bath or Leeds. If I get two Bs, well… then I don’t know what will happen, I didn’t get any lower offers.’

     ‘It will be fine,’ I told him again.

     Robert was even more worried than Michael. Coincidentally they both wanted to do politics, but Rob wanted to do a course called PPE, which was Philosophy, Politics and Economics, but was only run at a few universities. He had only received two offers, one from Oxford and one from Durham, and they both wanted three As, so if he didn’t get those three As, he had no back up plan.

     I wasn’t worried for Rob though, because he always got really good marks at school. I didn’t know what to think for Michael, since I had no idea what he was like at school. He seemed intelligent to me, but that is never a guarantee that someone gets good marks.

     Michael and I were watching TV, but not really watching, when Rob came into the room. His face was expressionless, but I could tell he’d got the call.

     ‘So?’ I asked impatiently. ‘Did you get what you needed?’

     He very gently and slowly shook his head, then whispered ‘I got two A stars.’