Chapter Thirteen

‘So today I’m going to piss off and leave you two alone,’ Beth announced on Sunday morning. She was just out of bed and I was still mostly asleep.

     ‘What?’ I managed to say, though it was a big fight to get my mouth muscles to move this early in the morning.

     ‘I said, I going to do my own thing today,’ she repeated. ‘So you and Michael can have some bonding time.’

     I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes. ‘Whatever,’ I said. ‘What time is it?’

     ‘Nine thirty,’ she told me, moving round to the other side of the room and going into the bathroom.

     ‘I hate you!’ I yelled, and hid back underneath the covers.

     When I properly woke up two hours later Dee told me that Beth had already gone out, planning to spend the day in Haverfordwest with Kaz. I headed straight up to Michael’s room to see if he was up yet.

     I pushed the door open slowly, and saw immediately that the light was off, so did my best to be quiet. I crept over to his bed and as I did, he rolled over. ‘Deb?’ he called out.

     ‘Hey,’ I said, climbing into the bed next to him.

     ‘Morning beautiful,’ he murmured, somehow finding my lips in the dark and kissing me.

     ‘Beth’s gone out for the day,’ I told him. ‘It’s just us.’

     ‘Sounds good,’ he said, kissing me again. But suddenly he froze mid-kiss and pulled away. ‘Debby, just so you know, I’m not wearing any clothes,’ he said.

     I jumped up and off the bed. ‘What?’

     ‘Don’t sound so shocked,’ he told me. ‘Don’t you ever sleep naked?’

     ‘No!’ I cried.

     ‘Oh, well you should try it sometime. It so comfortable.’

     ‘It’s gross,’ I told him firmly.

     ‘No it isn’t,’ he said. ‘Everyone does it. I bet Beth does.’

     ‘I know for a fact that she doesn’t.’

     ‘Not when you’re there stupid,’ he teased.

     I chewed my lip. I was standing there in the dark, looking at the bed where I could just about make out his form under the duvet. My brain was telling me it was inappropriate that he wasn’t wearing anything, but my body was telling me I desperately wanted to see it. It was taking a lot of force to stop myself from turning on the light. But I couldn’t, I wasn’t ready for things this grown up. Fourteen, you’re fourteen, I told myself over and over, like a mantra.

     ‘Right,’ I said finally. ‘I’m going to go to the loo and when I come back you will be wearing at least some boxers.’ I went straight into the bathroom, not giving him time to argue.

     I didn’t actually need the loo, so instead I sat on the edge of the bath and took slow deep breaths. I needed to calm down, control this attraction I felt towards all things improper. At this point, had I been two years older, I would be jumping right into his bed.

     After a few minutes I called out to him ‘Are you still walking around naked?’    

     I heard him chuckle, then say ‘Nope, all covered up.’

     But he was lying. I went out and this time the light was on and he was standing up, as naked as the day he was born. I let out a yelp, and shut the door again, but I was too late, I’d seen everything.