Chapter 14: Sasuke Retrieval Arc Begins

Turns out fiddling with your own tail gets boring after a while, Kitsune sighed, shifting her weight on the bed and letting her tail fall gently off the edge. She threw herself against the bed and spread her arms outward, trying to figure out something to do.

After going to bed soon after getting home last night, Kitsune woke up every 3o minutes, giving up at around 4AM. She'd been playing around with things in the room for 2 hours now, and still no one was... hang on. Her ear perked up as Kiba's feet hit the floor, walking lazily to the door and past her room.

With a quick glance at her clock, she deemed it too early for Kiba to be up; he must be up to something! She hissed inwardly, sliding off her bed and tiptoeing out of the room and out to the kitchen, seeing a note on the table.

Went for a walk, be back later. She read, hearing Kiba's sassy tone with each word. Her foot started tapping impatiently as she decided whether or not to follow him... of course I am! With a giggle, she launched herself quietly out the front door and followed his scent, leading her right to Choji's home.

"Shino is out on a mission with his father," Kiba's voice echoed through her ears. "I guess this is what I get for waking up early and trying to take a walk." Akamaru let out a small bark, his tail making whooshing sounds as he wagged it.

"So you're in?" Shikamaru asked, looking over at the place where Kitsune was attempting to hide... attempting. "What about you," he called, pointing his lazy finger towards the wall.

"What for?" Kitsune rolled along the wall, leaning casually against it.

"Oh hell no, she is not coming with us!" Kiba shouted, his voice almost giving way to a whine.

"She can if she wants; we need all the help we can get." Shikamaru sighed, "plus, it really can't hurt to have two people with insane senses of smell on the team."

"She's not a ninja though," Kiba scoffed, crossing his arms. "She'd just be a burden."

"Uh, hello," Kitsune cleared her throat. "Right here, you bully," she waved her hand in front of Kiba's face, getting it swatted away instantly.

"Yeah, I can see you," he rolled his eyes. "And smell you," he pinched his nose, giving her a snarky look.

"Whatever, I'm going," she crossed her arms, pointing her head up defiantly. "But... uh," she scratched her head. "Where is it I'm going?"

"We're retrieving Sasuke," Naruto spoke up from next to the open door, "He left for Orochimaru's hideout, we need to get him back!" The emotion in his tone struck Kitsune as strange, that must be what they call bonds, and she gave a little chuckle. "What's so funny?!" Naruto demanded, pointing his finger at Kitsune.

"Nothing, nothing," she looked from Shikamaru to Naruto, and then to Kiba, who was staring at Shikamaru angrily. Does he know what Orochimaru will do to him, she thought sourly, the smile fading from her face.

"I still don't think she should go," Kiba mumbled, looking over at Kitsune, breaking her from her thoughts.

"Listen, Sasuke's not a close friend of mine, nor is he someone important," Naruto opened his mouth to protest. "But, he is a fellow Leaf Village ninja, and we might need all the help we can get." Naruto's mouth closed, but Kiba's just kept opening, in fact, Kitsune thought he was doing a pretty good job of putting his foot in there.

"Whatever, she'll just drag us down and-"

"What the hell is your problem?!" Kitsune pushed him, feeling a bit satisfied as he stumbled backwards. "I know I'm not a 'ninja', but I'm just as good as you at sniffing stuff out, if not better!" She hissed, clenching her fists at her side. "So, how about you stop running your oversized mouth and just deal with me going with you?" With a huff, she turned on her heel and began walking away, her tail bristling angrily.

"Meet at the gate!" Shikamaru yelled, ignoring the total blowup he'd just witnessed, getting only a wave in response.

"What was that about?" Choji stuck his head out of the door, his voice muffled by a mouthful of chips.

"Hell if I know," Shikamaru shrugged. "But we need to get going, you good to go?" He looked over at Kiba, who was staring after Kitsune with remorse. 

"Yeah!" He shook his head, replacing his remorse with his normal cocky smile. Why the hell are women so complicated, he sighed inwardly, hearing Akamaru whine beside him.

-

She began tapping her foot impatiently, they're taking too long, she began pacing back and forth, his scent is already stale, and it'll fade soon. She stopped pacing, taking up tapping her foot again, listening intently for anyone approaching.

If Kiba's head wasn't up his ass I'm sure he'd be able to smell Sasuke's trail getting faint, she scoffed, placing her foot firmly on the ground. Who am I kidding, he'd rather throw a fit about someone not 'qualified' going with him, she sighed, looking up when the sound of footsteps hit her ears.

"You're early," Naruto waved, holding a small cup of ramen, the steam billowing off of it. "Wanna bite?" He held out the cup, but she could see he was reluctant to actually let her have any.

"I'm good, I already ate." She turned, watching Shikamaru approaching with another guy, his long brown hair flowing behind him. "Who's that?" She pointed to the guy next to Shikamaru, who narrowed his eyes in response.

"What's with the tail," he shot back, placing his hands on his waist and letting out a sigh. "I swear, you just picked up anyone for this mission."

"This is Neji," Shikamaru ignored Neji's sassy retort. "He's going to be as vital to tracking Sasuke as you and Kiba are," looking Neji up and down, Kitsune took a little sniff of the air, immediately picking up the smell of lavender.

"Are you..." She let out a small laugh, covering her mouth. "Nice shampoo choice," Neji just rolled his eyes, ignoring the curious look Shikamaru and Naruto gave him.

"Hey you guys!" The sound of a bag of chips crinkling alerted Kitsune of Choji earlier, but the sound of his voice alerted the rest of the group. "Where's Kiba?" He asked, stuffing another handful of chips into his mouth.

"Who cares," Kitsune murmured, turning away as Kiba's scent hit her nose, synchronizing with Choji's question. "Are we ready to go?" She called, spinning around and flattening her ears at the sight of Kiba.

"Looks like it," Shikamaru nodded, walking forward and standing in front of the group. "The formation will go like this: Kiba and Kitsune in the front, they'll be the nose for the group. I'll be behind them, ready to call orders as soon as they update me on the situation. Naruto will be next, ready to support either end of the line, Choji fourth, and Neji at the end."

"Got it," The group answered, Naruto sticking his hand out flat.

"Hands in?" Naruto sputtered, spitting broth on Shikamaru and getting stares from the rest of the group. "Fine then," He pouted.

"All will go smoothly as long as everyone listens to my orders," Shikamaru turned, but Kitsune could still smell the fear radiating off of him. "I'm responsible for your lives, and I will not fail."